Computer says it can't find the openspot

Roberteod

Computer says it can't find the openspot

Post by Roberteod »

It is one step forward and three steps back. I am using a desk top computer with Windows 10. No matter what browser I use I can't get to my openspot. It says " No server found " or can't locate a device called openspot. I have checked and it is on ComPort 8. It worked perfectly on Tuesday morning but on Wednesday I tried to hook up and got nothing. I don't think it is my router because I went to my daughter's house and used her internet and got the same negative result. My internet is Hughesnet(No Laughing please, we are rural and that is the only ballgame out here)
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Computer says it can't find the openspot

Post by HA2NON »

If http://openspot.local/ does not work, you can look at the DHCP clients list in your router’s web interface to get openSPOT’s IP address, which can be entered in your browser instantly. This may be the case if you want to open the web interface on Android and iOS phones, which don’t support MDNS or LLMNR (which means they can't open domains with .local addresses).

The other way to find openSPOT's IP address is using the USB serial console (net command).

Also make sure the Ethernet LED on the openSPOT is green.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Roberteod

Post by Roberteod »

Thank you for the reply. I am pretty basically computer iliterate. Could you explain how I get the ip address using the USB Serial console (net command). I attempted to find a DHCP client list when I opened the access to my router.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You can find more information about the USB serial console in the user manual. If you can't make it work, just ask and we'll help you.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Roberteod

Post by Roberteod »

I downloaded the PuTTY software but when I try to open it they want to sell me a driver update program called PC Cleaner. I can't get past that place. Any suggestions?
Roberteod

Post by Roberteod »

I finally got PuTTY to open but I could not find the ip address. Probably because I don't know what to enter in the opening dialog box.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You can use the help command to get available commands list. The command you are looking for is "net" (without quotation marks).
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Roberteod

Post by Roberteod »

I opened PuTTY and selected serial and the net and I got the MAC Address but no ip address. I know you must enjoy working with rookies.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

There is a line starting with "actip: " and it shows openSPOT's actual IP address.

Here's my openSPOT's net command result:

net
sercon: net config
mode: dhcp
hostname: openspot
mac: FE:28:00:00:00:06
actip: 192.168.3.251 (link up)

What does your openSPOT says when you enter the net command?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Roberteod

Post by Roberteod »

When I run PuTTY I get what you showed in your reply with the exception "actip" shows 0.0.0.0.