practical DMR question

w7ldn

practical DMR question

Post by w7ldn »

I'm curious how the openSPOT2 would handle a situation where I'm statically linked to two different talk groups. I'd be using the C4FM modem... with the DMR+ network. If I were statically linked to talk groups 320 and 321 for example... what if there is activity on both at the same time?

Do I hear the traffic mixed together? How do I choose which talk group to reply to? For that matter... if I'm statically linked to two talk groups... which talk group receives my transmission when I key up using my C4FM radio?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: practical DMR question

Post by HA2NON »

The server only sends 1 call at a time to a connected hotspot, so if there are 2 calls simultaneously, you'll miss one of them. You can choose which TG you want to talk on your transceiver.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
w7ldn

Post by w7ldn »

Right. If I'm using a C4FM radio to crossmode to DMR... I don't believe I have that ability to choose which TG I want to talk on. Correct?

This tells me that the only real way to effectively crossmode from C4FM to DMR is to only be linked to one TG at a time. This is certainly an acceptable answer. I just want to make sure I have this right.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You can make the server link any TG (or multiple TGs) you want even with a C4FM radio. The server links TGs which you start calls to. http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... l#page-top

You can find instructions on how to start calls to a TG using a C4FM radio on this page (look at the Cross mode usage / C4FM notes section): http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... mode-usage
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
w7ldn

Post by w7ldn »

Very interesting. This is sort of what I was thinking. If I'm statically linked to more than one TG... I will hear all of them. A short group call to one of those TG will route my following transmissions to that TG. You are saying I can do that with DTMF. I'm also guessing I can just do that with the openSPOT2 web interface... which is my preferred method.

Thank you very much for the help.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Sorry. I mixed some replies up.

URCALL is only available on D-STAR transceivers. C4FM transceivers don't support editing the URCALL (destination callsign), so you have to use DTMF codes for quick calls: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... c4fm-notes
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team