openSPOT2 - Ethernet? and WiFi band(s)

JohnF

openSPOT2 - Ethernet? and WiFi band(s)

Post by JohnF »

Will the openSPOT2 have the option to connect to the internet via ethernet similar to the original openSPOT?

Also, does WiFi support both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

Thanks

John
K6KD
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: openSPOT2 - Ethernet? and WiFi band(s)

Post by HA2NON »

You can connect the openSPOT2 to an Ethernet network using a wireless AP device. openSPOT2 works on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channels.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Ok, I guess that means an ethernet cable cannot be connected to the openSPOT2.

Over the years I have seen many problems traced to WiFi interference, especially on the very busy 2.4 GHz band. That is why many people connect directly to ethernet via a cable. Connecting using the 5 GHz band could be an alternative.

I think limiting to 2.4 GHz and no cable possibility are significant issues. Any chance of revisiting this prior to releasing the unit?

John
K6KD
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

The use case is for very low bandwidth links, typically a maximum of a couple of kbits/s. This should not be problematic in dense environments.
Brian G8SEZ
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Tyrbiter wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm The use case is for very low bandwidth links, typically a maximum of a couple of kbits/s. This should not be problematic in dense environments.
The issue is not the bandwidth but the interference from other 2.4 GHz networks or other RF devices in a neighborhood. Resulting problems have been demonstrated by myself and many others.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

The WiFi networks should not be a problem as they ought to behave properly regarding access to the spectrum.

I'll grant that non-WiFi devices could be a problem but they will interfere with all WiFi devices not just the hotspot.
Brian G8SEZ
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Non-WiFi devices can interfere with all devices, not just hot spots - true. But that does not mean you want your hot spot interfered with. 5 GHz would reduce such interference and an ethernet cable would eliminate the possibility.

Lists various sources of interference https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Regarding other WiFi networks:

How You and Your Neighbors Are Making Each Other’s Wi-Fi Worse (and What You Can Do About It)
https://www.howtogeek.com/209450/how-yo ... -about-it/

The above article does not address the Wi-Fi media access protocol, which can minimize interference, but not eliminate it completely.

Anyway - bottom line: We can argue as to the potential impact on one WiFi network on another, but considering all the other sources of interference, 5 GHz and cable options would be desirable.
BlueSky

Post by BlueSky »

JohnF wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm Ok, I guess that means an ethernet cable cannot be connected to the openSPOT2.
OK....I´m out. Sorry...
k9agr

Post by k9agr »

BlueSky wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm
JohnF wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm Ok, I guess that means an ethernet cable cannot be connected to the openSPOT2.
OK....I´m out. Sorry...
I have an enterprise grade commercial cellular router in my vehicle, and everything currently connects via hardwired (shielded) ethernet cables. I could enable the wifi on the router, but I prefer not to. I don't want my vehicle contributing to the wifi noise.

Without some compelling new feature, I won't be buying an openSPOT v2 for in-vehicle use. Maybe for playing around in the shack, but not for mobile use.

Jim