iPhone Connection

Gene4422

iPhone Connection

Post by Gene4422 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 pm

I am having a difficult time connecting my iPhone X to my OpenSpot 2; are there any clear instructions?

zelthian

Re: iPhone Connection

Post by zelthian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 pm

The manual is pretty straight forward:

http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... l#page-top

Gene4422

Post by Gene4422 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks for responding. If I understand correctly, if I’m in my vehicle, this will not work. In other words, I cannot use my iPhone as a hotspot, I need to be connected to a network. Every time I attempt to connect it is searching for a networks. I see the OpenSpot 2 in my WiFi settings, but that is as far as I get. Overall, my question is can I use my open spot in my vehicle where my iPhone is the hotspot. Thanks

zelthian

Post by zelthian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Yes, once you get it set up. However, if you are using your iPhone to do the initial setup, it becomes a chicken & egg scenario, as your iPhone can't be in hotspot mode while you'r attached to the openSPOT2 AP, and the openSPOT2 needs to see the network it wants to connect to during initial setup.

To accomplish what you're attempting, you'll need a different device to do the initial setup, such as another smartphone or a laptop with wifi:
  • Turn on your hotspot on your iphone.
  • Connect to the openSPOT2 AP with the other device.
  • During setup, select your iphone hotspot as the intended wifi network.
  • After the openSPOT2 reboots, you should be able to use the iphone to continue the configuration, as it will be on the same network as the openSPOT2. If not, connect your other device to the iphone hotspot network and proceed.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:50 pm

You can also set up an additional Wi-Fi network on the Network page if you turn on Advanced mode (lower right corner of the page). You can configure up to 5 Wi-Fi networks. The openSPOT2 will try to connect to all of them.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Zombie

Post by Zombie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:39 pm

After the initial set-up my Shark II works perfectly with my iPhone 8+. Once I got it configured, I just turn on the Shark using a portable battery pack then activate the phone hotspot. It only takes a few seconds, maybe 5-10, and it connects no problem every time.

AJ5C

Post by AJ5C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:29 am

OK, I am following your instructions to connect. Now, is it also possible to see the Status page on the iPhone while connected to the phones hotspot?

zelthian

Post by zelthian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm

AJ5C wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:29 am
OK, I am following your instructions to connect. Now, is it also possible to see the Status page on the iPhone while connected to the phones hotspot?
Yes, provided the device you're using to see the status page is on the same hotspot network on the iPhone. Assuming your are using the iPhone itself, the answer is still yes. You can use the sharkrf.link method, the URL method, or go directly to the IP address, as normal.

Manual page: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... l#page-top

Bob_K6UDA

Post by Bob_K6UDA » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm

What I did is create a specific profile for my iPhone. Seeing as I only use the phone to tether when I'm mobile, it works better for me. What I've found is on profile 0 I have my home wifi setup as well as my iPhone. The problem seems to be with the iPhone. it will only initialize the hotspot mode if you are in the hotspot screen. so if the screen shuts off before you get to that screen, the openspot will go search out the next available wifi and connect.
My solution was to create profile 2 with only my iPhone setup in it. That was the openspot will search for the signal until I et my iPhone in the hotspot screen and everything hooks up the way i want it too. I also get the benefit of being able to control the Openspot2 via the iPhone. Works flawlessly. I posted a video on how to do it on my channel.
-K6UDA

zelthian

Post by zelthian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Bob_K6UDA wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm
My solution was to create profile 2 with only my iPhone setup in it. That was the openspot will search for the signal until I et my iPhone in the hotspot screen and everything hooks up the way i want it too. I also get the benefit of being able to control the Openspot2 via the iPhone. Works flawlessly. I posted a video on how to do it on my channel.
-K6UDA
Nice!