Request for Help: OpenSpot2 and Motorola XPR 7550e

pennacnp

Request for Help: OpenSpot2 and Motorola XPR 7550e

Post by pennacnp » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Greetings!

I am excited about my recent purchase of a new OpenSpot2. What a fantastic piece of technology that truly opens the world of Ham radio when tethered to a cell phone.

I am looking forward to using the OpenSpot2 with my Motorola XPR 7550e, but alas I am very much a neophyte when it comes to interfacing with this technology. Thus, I have multiple questions regarding the use of an OpenSpot2 and a Motorola XPR 7550e. These include the following:

1. Where do I start? I know this is a rather broad question, but hoping others have paved the way and I may read about their experience to aid my own.

2. Is it possible to change DMR talk groups from the XPR 7550e?

3. Will the XPR 7550e display other users callsign and name via a database look-up?

4. What am I missing to get going?

I truly appreciate this help.

73!

W1MPR

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Request for Help: OpenSpot2 and Motorola XPR 7550e

Post by HA2NON » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:24 pm

1. I don't know which introduction video or website is the best, maybe other forum users can help :)
2. Yes, just simply make a short group call to the talkgroup ID you want to link. The network will link the TG for you and you'll hear conversations. Keep in mind that TGs linked this way are dynamic so that they will timeout after (usually) 15 minutes. To unlink all TGs, start a short group call to ID 4000. BrandMeister has a feature which is called auto static talkgroups: the first TG you link after group calling ID 4000 will stay static and won't be unlinked.
3. I don't know if Motorola has implemented in-band data support in their radios, but if they did, then enable the "in-band data sent to the modem" setting in the openSPOT2 at the DMR settings section so your radio will receive it and if it supports it, displays the info. The feature is disabled by default because some Motorola radios don't handle in-band data correctly and may stutter when it's in the data stream.
4. You only need your OS2 and radio so I think you have everything what's needed :)
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

zelthian

Post by zelthian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Matthew,

It's going to be best to find an Elmer in your area to get you started programming your radio. I do know that Motorola charges for the software for their radios, so hopefully somebody can help you out there.

Something I do know is that Motorola doesn't focus on Amateur Radio, so their radios don't have some of the more ham-focused features such as large contact lists. Therefore, you will be limited by the number of radio IDs you can put in your radio, which is what allows for the callsigns to show up on the screen.

I do have a basic programming video on youtube that goes over some DMR concepts, but again, do try to find an Elmer in your area that can also help you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yzn2rckEo

pennacnp

Post by pennacnp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:24 pm
then enable the "in-band data sent to the modem" setting in the openSPOT2 at the DMR settings section
I looked for this on the OpenSpot2 console but can't seem to find it under DMR. Does anyone know where I should look?

Thanks

GW4VRO

Post by GW4VRO » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Firstly make sure that you have a tick in the box for advance mode on the bottom right of the blue task bar. Then on the settings tab, scroll down to the DMR section where you will find a box marked Send no inband data to modem. Make sure that there is NO tick in this box and also click the save buttom to remember this setting

pennacnp

Post by pennacnp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you!