View Call and Name on Radio

NS8Q

View Call and Name on Radio

Post by NS8Q » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am

I have a Motorola XPR6550 DMR Radio. I have been able to talk on and monitor different talk groups, but I have to use my phone to see the name and call signs of the people talking.

How can I get that information to display on the radio?

Several YouTube videos show that information scrolling across the radio screens.

Thank you!

k6osx

Re: View Call and Name on Radio

Post by k6osx » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:09 am

Not familiar with Motorola radios, have you loaded the ID Database into your radio's contact list?

RadioID.net has a csv file that you can format and import into many radios.

Link to csv: https://www.radioid.net/static/users.csv

NS8Q

Post by NS8Q » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:35 am

When I first started in DMR, I operated on a local repeater system in Michigan whose backbone was DMR-MARC. They had their own ID system that I could download from and load into the radio. The radio only accepts 1,000 contacts I believe, so once DMR-MARC shut down, the local repeater owner cut ties with them and there went our ID downloads.

So are you thinking that the people in the videos are using contacts they've already loaded into their radio?

I have the latest ID database loaded into the OpenSpot2. It seems like there should be a way to transmit that information to the radio itself. I already receive the DMR ID number, but not the call sign or the name.

Chris NS8Q

k6osx

Post by k6osx » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Yes, I think most people in the videos have downloaded ID database into their radio's contact list. For example, the Anytone D878 can support 150,000+ contacts... currently enough space to hold all registered DMR IDs. Since your radio supports 1000 contacts, you'll need to filter the current ID datavase csv file. Before importing contacts into your radio, I would recommend using your CSP to export the current contact list from your radio to see the format that your radio uses for it's contacts. I had to do some reformatting of the downloaded ID database csv file to match the contact format used by my radio.

I think the OS2 uses it's ID database for the Status screen call log. I don't think it transmits the ID database information to the connected radio... not sure, it would be nice if that was an option!

I'm new to DMR, been playing with this stuff for about a month... but I have updated my radio's contact list twice since I started and I get most of the contact information displayed on my radio. The ID database is growing at a rapid pace. Ultimately, talker alias or something like it, will need to be established and supported by the major players (specifically motorola) then we would not have to rely so much on having to load the ID database into our radio's contact list.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:00 am

If the "Send inband data to modem" setting is enabled at the Settings page, DMR settings section, then the openSPOT2 will transmit inband data (talker alias) to your radio. This feature is in the DMR specification since 2016 but it's disabled by default because Motorola radios do not support the latest specs and some of them decode inband data in a way that the received voice starts to stutter.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

k6osx

Post by k6osx » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:42 am

Thank you, working on my AT D878.

John4CA

Post by John4CA » Mon May 27, 2019 8:50 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:00 am
If the "Send inband data to modem" setting is enabled at the Settings page, DMR settings section, then the openSPOT2 will transmit inband data (talker alias) to your radio. This feature is in the DMR specification since 2016 but it's disabled by default because Motorola radios do not support the latest specs and some of them decode inband data in a way that the received voice starts to stutter.
I have an AnyTone D878UV radio that I'm trying to setup. I am looking at the openspot2 Settings/DMR settings and only see two selections: 1) Color Code and 2) Default cross-mode source. I only see the RadioID as well, but I think at one time earlier I saw full contact details. Any idea where or how to set it?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 am

Maybe you have Advanced mode turned off. Turn it on by checking the checkbox at the bottom right of the web interface.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team