Openspot2 - Mistake for SharkRf???

K9IUQ

Re: Openspot2 - Mistake for SharkRf???

Post by K9IUQ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Just realize there are MANY other US hams that think just the opposite of you.
This is the problem for SharkRF. Many hams (like me) think the OS2 is an expen$ive Toy, while many other hams think the OS2 (with it's many limitations) is just fine.

SharkRf lost half their hotspot market.

IMO the OS2 will never reach the popularity of the legacy OS...

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:06 pm

This is the problem for SharkRF. Many hams (like me) think the OS2 is an expen$ive Toy, while many other hams think the OS2 (with it's many limitations) is just fine.
The openSPOT 2 obviously doesn't fit your use case. Nothing wrong with that. But it fits the use case of many others perfectly (small, portable, single board design, fast hardware, efficient software, low power consumption, excellent support, no SD cards to deal with, etc..).
I don't even know what this means. :roll:

K9IUQ

Post by K9IUQ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:23 pm

I don't even know what this means. :roll:
Be glad to explain. The OS2 will not appeal to hams like me. We want a hotspot that has:

1.Ethernet AND Wi-Fi
2. A hotspot that actually looks like a hamradio device.
3. Removable RF antenna, so we can easily increase the RF range.
4. Wi-Fi range that will cover our house, not just cover the inside of our car.
5. Those wonderful useful led lights (like the Legacy OS has on the front) OR an OLED readout.
6. A USA dealer selling them, making returns easy and cheap.

7. I have not mentioned this before - BUT compared to the hotspot competition the OS2 is overpriced. Hams are Cheap, even rich Hams look at value, or as USA hams say "Bang for Bucks."

Because of the above reasons the OS2 (SharkRF) ignores at least half the hotspot market. I suspect half the market is conservative.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:25 pm

We have a US warehouse since December so returns are cheap and easy.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:06 pm

1.Ethernet AND Wi-Fi
5. Those wonderful useful led lights (like the Legacy OS has on the front) OR an OLED readout.
6. A USA dealer selling them, making returns easy and cheap.
We can definitely agree on the fact that hams are cheap! :lol: You've mentioned several times that you think the openSPOT 2 is overpriced. Having no knowledge of what it costs to manufacturer or what went into developing it, what do you think an openSPOT 2 should cost? I'm curious. And what would you be willing to pay for a hotspot that checked all your boxes? I love your requirement "that it actually looks like a hamradio device". What does that even mean? I don't know.

DMRShark

Post by DMRShark » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 pm

1. Ethernet AND Wi-Fi
I have to agree with 5 out of the 7 points made.

I do own an OpenSpot2. I bought it for the car and that's where it stays (very happy with it in that enviroment). Subsequently, I bought a couple used original OpenSpots for home use, as I prefer to have a hard wired network connection.

I believe there is room for both products. An updated home version of the OS1. If it had better stability and the more detailed status reporting (like the OS2), I would be all in for another one or two.

That is what I would ultimately like to see... an OpenSpot marketed towards home plugin use.

One size does not fit all. Your needs and application may vary. Void where prohibited.

K9IUQ

Post by K9IUQ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm

You've mentioned several times that you think the openSPOT 2 is overpriced.
what do you think an openSPOT 2 should cost? I'm curious.

And what would you be willing to pay for a hotspot that checked all your boxes? I love your requirement "that it actually looks like a hamradio device". What does that even mean? I don't know.
First off, I only mentioned ONCE that the OS2 is overpriced. Go check my past posts. I hesitated to bring up the OS2 price as I know it is a sore spot.

If you are actually a ham you would know what a hamradio device looks like. :lol: Since you prefer to hide behind an anonymous nocall name I assume you are either not a ham OR do not want your ham friends to know your opinions.

Since I live in the USA, I believe the OS2 should be priced around $175 with free shipping in the USA. A USA dealer could ship the small OS2 very cheaply around $5 with USA Priority mail. The OS2 does have great appeal to Newbie hams. However there are other companies such as Nex-Gen that will provide a complete turnkey solution hotpot for $170-$250. Turnkey means that even the customer's wifi hotspot username and password and DMRID/Callsign are in the shipped unit. Complete no hassle, no knowledge necessary Plug and Play. All you have to do is find someone to program the codeplug for your radio. ;)

A SharkRF OS3 hotspot that has all the features I described earlier and has that "macho hamradio look" should sell $200-$250 with free shipping.

IMO the OS2 will never be popular at a shipped price of $250

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:48 am

First off, I only mentioned ONCE that the OS2 is overpriced. Go check my past posts. I hesitated to bring up the OS2 price as I know it is a sore spot.
My apologizes. My bad.
If you are actually a ham you would know what a hamradio device looks like.
I'm an Extra Class US amateur, so you don't have to speculate. Do these have the "macho hamradio look"?
I'm trying to understand.
IMG_20190301_182154.jpg

K9IUQ

Post by K9IUQ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Do these have the "macho hamradio look"?
Oh yeah, they all look like hamradio devices except that white thingy that looks like a baby "cordless mouse" for a kid's computer....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:45 pm

:lol: