Openspot2 - Mistake for SharkRf???

Curtis

Re: Openspot2 - Mistake for SharkRf???

Post by Curtis » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 am

Of all the hot spots I reviewed online for ease of setup, and the speed at which it connects to a wireless router was the deciding vote to purchase the OS2. The cool thing about being human is the free will choice to buy what I want. If I don't like something I just don't buy it. :)

KB0OXD

Post by KB0OXD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:04 am

K9IUQ wrote:I have been following the "Dealer" thread here with interest and decided to put up my 2 Cents. Full Disclosure: I have owned an Openspot for 1 1/2 years and have been very satisfied with it.

However, I truly believe SharkRf has made a huge mistake with dropping the original Openspot and only selling the Openspot 2.

The Openspot 2 is a step down from the original Openspot and smart hams are avoiding the Openspot 2. Don't believe me? Check out the Brandmeister Dashboard and look at the pie chart showing hotspot usage. Compared to a year ago, Openspot usage has dropped way down. MMDVM hotspots have taken over the market on Brandmeister. Openspot 2 usage hovers around 2%, Openspot (1) is around 19%. MVDVM is around 57%.

Percentage wise, Openspot usage continues to drop. Why is this happening? Many reasons I think.

Openspot 2 is no longer sold by USA dealers. Many USA hams will NOT buy from a foreign entity. OS2 does NOT have an Ethernet jack. OS2 does not have those very useful lights on the front like the original Openspot. OS2 does not have an external antenna, making useless for anyone that would want to extend the RF coverage of the unit with a better antenna. And be honest. The OS2 looks like a toy instead of a real hamradio device.

SharkRF should have improved the Original Openspot instead of the complete OS2 redesign that appeals to newbies. SharkRF should have added wireless and an OLED readout (think Zumspot/MMDVM) to the original Openspot and kept selling it thru HRO. SharkRF "could" have owned the hotspot market, they had a huge start with the OS which had great style and wonderful programming. Instead they are losing market share to others.

I realize my opinion will be offensive to many and SharkRF may even moderate me or censor this post. However MANY other USA hams are thinking just like me.
Honestly, I don't think it really matters WHAT kind of Hotspot you are using. You could be using (What I affectionately like to call) a CCR (Cheap Chinese Ripoff) YET as long as you sound good going out over the TG, does it really matter all THAT much?? I don't think so

WAS it a mistake for SharkRF to suddenly stop selling the original Openspot EVEN THOUGH the Openspot 2 was MONTHS away from launch??

YES IT WAS - A HUGE mistake (And it likely cost them some customers (ONE of them NEARLY being ME had I been able to get the CCR I bought off Amazon going)).

But I think they LEARNED from THAT mistake & are NOT likely to repeat it when the Openspot 3 comes out (Whenever that is)

JMO...

Cheers & 73 Image

Pat, KB0OXD

Sent from my Alcatel_5059R using Tapatalk

KB0OXD

Post by KB0OXD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:18 am

K9IUQ wrote:My original post was not to bash the Openspot2. I merely wanted SharkRf to realize that with the OS2 they are missing a huge marketplace segment of the ham world.

I have been extremely pleased with my Openspot which I have had for some time. I replaced the original stubby duck with the long duck supplied with a MD-380. This allows me to walk my dog about a half mile from my house and still maintain RF coverage between my HT and Openspot. Very useful. I also have a TP nanospot wireless router which was very cheap and paired it with my Openspot. Very simple and it provides a very small package tied together. I get WF-FI coverage with the TP nano thru out my house.

My original post was conceived because I am in the market for a second hotspot. I researched the OS2 and found that it would NOT satisfy my needs. I needed/wanted extended RF coverage and knew a hidden non replaceable RF antenna in the OS2 was not going to work for me. Also the lack of an Ethernet jack was a non-starter for me. I wanted both a Ethernet jack and Wireless access in my next hotspot.

So, RFShark lost a customer - ME, who was perfectly happy with the OS which is no longer available except on the used market. I believe SharkRF products has superior software, making them much easier to use VS the Pi-star software. Also the OS/OS2 boot MUCH faster than Pi-star based hotspots.

However my present choices for a new hotspot are a MMDVM or a used OS. I am leaning towards a MMDVM hotspot with a nice OLED screen.
THE ONE THING I would LOVE to see SharkRF do with the Openspot is PERMANENTLY LOWER THE PRICE of it

I mean $200 was GREAT - WHEN IT WAS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN !!

But NOW that it has COMPETTION (Mainly from the MMDVMs but also from the occasional CCR that few people have been able to get running too), $200 IS NOT such a good deal & it's BEHOOVING to see that hasn't registered with them yet ImageImage

JMO...

Cheers & 73 Image

KB0OXD

Post by KB0OXD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 am

cyberjew wrote:I agree with just about everything each of you said.

The day that the OS2 preview video hit the Interwebs I wrote a post about how the lack of a display was a huge mistake. I stand by that point to this day.

Having to keep another device connected to the OS2 just to keep an eye on what it’s doing is just not a workable strategy when you’re always on the go.

It was definitely a tremendous mistake to stop selling the OS1 if they weren’t going to add an Ethernet port to the OS2. Either make both connectivity methods available on one device or offer both devices. Don’t make people have to choose one over the other.

My OS1 stays connected to my Ethernet network at home 100% of the time. The OS2 has become my “every once in a while” hotspot because the Zumspot totally outperforms it in just about every way.

The fact that the OS2 boots insanely fast is wonderful! But the slow writes to storage (during database updates and firmware downloads) is inexcusable. It shouldn’t take 10 minutes (or more!) on a fast wireless connection to download a 5 MB file.

Lack of an external antenna...big downfall for the OS2. Just watch this video! The whole thing!!!

https://youtu.be/ukE7U6ZaRj4

The price point might be an even bigger reason why they aren’t getting the same kind of market share as they had when they first started. The OS2 is just too expensive for a lot of people.

Both the OS1 and OS2 are clear winners over the Pi-Star based hotspots in a few areas:

1. The built in calibration utility is AMAZING!!! So many people don’t bother calibrating. It’s a pain in the you know what to do with Pi-Star in comparison. The results from a peppery calibrated hotspot are incredible.

2. The OS1 and OS2 are very reliable in terms of being able to suffer a power loss and don’t ever need to be shut down gracefully. They are pretty much bullet proof. Pi-Star, until recently, had a terrible bug where the file system would get stuck in read/write mode. If you don’t have the latest update or aren’t very careful, you can easily corrupt the SD card on Pi-Star based hotspots. That’s true with any SD card based system. SD cards are terrible when it comes to corruption.

3. OS1 and OS2 are so easy to use! They just work. They’re kind of boring in a way. Pi-Star is great if you’re into tinkering. But if you’re just getting started in digital and want something quick and easy, then OS is the place to be.

I sincerely hope that SharkRF reaches out to people for input when developing the OS3. A lot of really bad things happen in most cases when you develop a product in a vacuum. It happens more often than not. Had they reached out to some advanced users in the early stages and gotten a lot of reliable feedback, it’s possible they would have been able to resolve some of these things early on. But it’s also difficult to work with people outside the organization when you’re trying to develop something in secrecy. I guess there are trade offs.

That’s all! I think I wore my thumbs out! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why did you even post that video?? You stopped recording when you accidentally disconnected the antenna from the Openspot & never resumed the video

Curious...

Pat, KB0OXD

K1GGS

Post by K1GGS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 am

I've had a Openspot2 for about 2 months. Works great for me. I have the Openspot 2 in my car, with the unit connected to a CLA, which is on 24/7. I have a VZW JetPack which i keep in the house so i can charge it. I also use the Openspot2 on Dapnet, and it works fine around the house. All my HT's work fiine in the area of my home, and in the car when i'm in motion.
My Openspot2 is velcroed to the top of the rear seat, and i keep the Jetpack in the center console.
I'm impressed with the entire package
I had a Openspot original, but gave it away when i got the "2"
Rusty K1GGS

cyberjew

Post by cyberjew » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 am

KB0OXD wrote:
cyberjew wrote:I agree with just about everything each of you said.

The day that the OS2 preview video hit the Interwebs I wrote a post about how the lack of a display was a huge mistake. I stand by that point to this day.

Having to keep another device connected to the OS2 just to keep an eye on what it’s doing is just not a workable strategy when you’re always on the go.

It was definitely a tremendous mistake to stop selling the OS1 if they weren’t going to add an Ethernet port to the OS2. Either make both connectivity methods available on one device or offer both devices. Don’t make people have to choose one over the other.

My OS1 stays connected to my Ethernet network at home 100% of the time. The OS2 has become my “every once in a while” hotspot because the Zumspot totally outperforms it in just about every way.

The fact that the OS2 boots insanely fast is wonderful! But the slow writes to storage (during database updates and firmware downloads) is inexcusable. It shouldn’t take 10 minutes (or more!) on a fast wireless connection to download a 5 MB file.

Lack of an external antenna...big downfall for the OS2. Just watch this video! The whole thing!!!

https://youtu.be/ukE7U6ZaRj4

The price point might be an even bigger reason why they aren’t getting the same kind of market share as they had when they first started. The OS2 is just too expensive for a lot of people.

Both the OS1 and OS2 are clear winners over the Pi-Star based hotspots in a few areas:

1. The built in calibration utility is AMAZING!!! So many people don’t bother calibrating. It’s a pain in the you know what to do with Pi-Star in comparison. The results from a peppery calibrated hotspot are incredible.

2. The OS1 and OS2 are very reliable in terms of being able to suffer a power loss and don’t ever need to be shut down gracefully. They are pretty much bullet proof. Pi-Star, until recently, had a terrible bug where the file system would get stuck in read/write mode. If you don’t have the latest update or aren’t very careful, you can easily corrupt the SD card on Pi-Star based hotspots. That’s true with any SD card based system. SD cards are terrible when it comes to corruption.

3. OS1 and OS2 are so easy to use! They just work. They’re kind of boring in a way. Pi-Star is great if you’re into tinkering. But if you’re just getting started in digital and want something quick and easy, then OS is the place to be.

I sincerely hope that SharkRF reaches out to people for input when developing the OS3. A lot of really bad things happen in most cases when you develop a product in a vacuum. It happens more often than not. Had they reached out to some advanced users in the early stages and gotten a lot of reliable feedback, it’s possible they would have been able to resolve some of these things early on. But it’s also difficult to work with people outside the organization when you’re trying to develop something in secrecy. I guess there are trade offs.

That’s all! I think I wore my thumbs out! :-)

Why did you even post that video?? You stopped recording when you accidentally disconnected the antenna from the Openspot & never resumed the video

Curious...

Pat, KB0OXD

That was not my video. Someone else posted it. Admittedly I didn’t watch it again before I shared the link.

The comedy behind that video is the creator made it look like he modded the OS2 to connect an external antenna - implying he worked to resolve the WiFi connectivity issues. Of course at the tail end of the video the external antenna falls off and you realize it’s a fake! He never modified the OS2 to connect an external antenna.

The video still sends an incredibly powerful message through its implications.

kd2pm

Post by kd2pm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 am

The one aspect that had me choose the OS2 was the fact that it boots up quickly and cannot get corrupted like a pi unit can. If you plan to keep stationary and will never lose power...then a jumbo or zum is great. But if you are like me in the mobile alot and dont want to have to do a proper shutdown before turning off the power...the OS2 is the right choice for that kind of environment. It sits nicely in my vehicle and with its audio prompts, and the ability to query it using different TG's, I find that I dont always have to look at the unit to see whats flashing or whats not.

With that being said...I do have a zumspot at the office connected to our internet wifi and thats always on and ready to go for myself and a few workers that are also hams.

So I dont see the OS2 as a one size fits all. It has a niche for a specific audience.
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA
Alinco DJ-MD5TGP

fdnyfish

Post by fdnyfish » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Let me step out from behind the curtain....

I created the video https://youtu.be/ukE7U6ZaRj4

I made the video to bust chops of all the people complaining about the wifi range of the OS2.

I'm also the guy behind these devices....
1.jpg
I have the original OpenSpot in my shack hardwired and its rock solid, performance is excellent, and I would never think of replacing it with a OS2.

I purchased the OS2 to use exclusively in my car, or when portable with my iPhone's wifi. I have no issues with the wifi range, as my OS2 is never any more than 10ft away from my iPhone when in use.

The problem here is that people want one device to do everything, and that's not going to happen.

We have all seen the hams that cry and complain when there $50 chinese radio does not scan memory channels as fast as a $600 dedicated scanner does. I sure they are the same people that use a hammer to insert a drywall screw into wood.

I agree that if a new version of the OS1 was created with all the features of the OS2, that device would be the BEST out there, but fingers crossed that in time SharkRF makes that device to one day replace my OS1 when it dies.

Competition of cheap alternatives that flood the market make it tough for a premium company like SharkRF to sometimes compete. I am in no way a CHEAP HAM.... I like buying things new, and don't mind paying for a quality device, but I make my buying decisions carefully to ensure the device I buy will do the job I need it to do.

Keep up the good work SharkRF, I'll be a supporter as long as you make a device that suits my needs.
Frank D'Amato - KB2MXV
https://www.qrz.com/db/kb2mxv

DF7FR

Post by DF7FR » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello out there.

a funny discussion here.
Unfortunately, it is as always in life, the contented never speak. The "dissatisfied" have probably never owned a device of this kind.
Prices can never surprise, because they are usually already fixed before the purchase. Who would like to buy such a device, informs itself normally before whether what he would like to have is present and what it costs.

I will not give this part away any more. Here I can well hide the whole Internet radio and nobody gets, s with hi.

During a car ride with friends I usually don't make a "DX" but I surprise them anyway when I talk to friends overseas. You don't have to tell anyone that it's on the Internet.

In the end: The device is rapidly initialized. My TH-D74 needs longer after switching on. WI-Fi at home goes perfectly over 3 floors of reinforced concrete.
The device makes all operating modes as promised and is absolutely stable. Still no Softwarecrash till today. I know this could also differently with some other devices hi.
The pager runs perfectly. But I use it almost only in D-Star and there I switch all necessary groups and rooms with the TH-D74.

So......I think it's ok. Feel free to buy it or not.

roger-uk

Post by roger-uk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:20 pm

There is life outside the USA I love the OS2 (I have 2) and all the deatures you would want would make it bigger and heavier so I don't want that. It suits me down to the ground and then they go and spoil it all by refusing to ship to UK because of Brexit whilst we are still in EU.

Sharkrf need a good salesman to match their brilliance in software and hardware design