OPENSPOT 2 is dead

guru46

OPENSPOT 2 is dead

Post by guru46 »

The OPENSPOT 2 worked for a few minutes, but would not let me connect to D-STAR....it would get stuck. I did a manual firmware upgrade and rebooted and now the LED will not light up. I tried resetting by pressing the button for 30 seconds, and about 20 second in, I would get a yellow light. At 30 seconds, I got a flashing red light. I have tried unplugging and replugging the power and I still get no LED or anything unless I press the button. Please help.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: OPENSPOT 2 is dead

Post by HA2NON »

Please try the following:

- Unplug the USB cable
- Press and hold the button
- Plug the USB cable while holding the button pressed
- Release the button

Do you get a yellow light?
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

guru46

Post by guru46 »

I got a steady yellow light, which after a few seconds, turned into a flashing yellow light. The OPENSPOT2 is not reachable via the web interface or AP mode. After 30 seconds, the flashing yellow light goes out. This is what happened before I implemented your suggestion. What do I do now? I cannot access the OPENSPOT2 at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You can do the following:

- Download this file to your computer: https://img.sharkrf.com/api/v1/images/a ... 4MKDA/blob
- Unplug the USB cable
- Press and hold the button
- Plug the USB cable into the computer while holding the button pressed
- Release the button
- A flash drive will appear on your computer called BOOTLOADER
- Copy the downloaded file to this flash drive
- The LED will start blinking alternating red/green for about 2 minutes. After that it should be steady green.
- The openSPOT2 will automatically reboot in 1 minute after the LED became steady green.

After this process the openSPOT2 will run as normal but as the v15 update contains a Wi-Fi firmware update it will first apply that which is indicated by blinking red/yellow LEDs for about 2 minutes.
SharkRF Team

guru46

Post by guru46 »

Thank you....I will try this and report back to you. I may not be able to get to it until tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.

WB5JJJ

Post by WB5JJJ »

Of course, I'm doing a lot of playing around with configurations with my new OS2.

I have noticed that more often than not, the sidebar buttons will pop up pretty quickly when I enter the direct IP address in Chrome on Win10 Pro 1803 updated, but the main (middle) screen sometime will never display until I click the openspot2 logo on the right side of the top blue bar. Then it usually comes up fairly quickly.

This computer is hard wired to my network as it doesn't have WiFi. Everything in the house is CAT6 1Gb Ethernet and ends at a centrally located 24 port, 1Gb switch before going to my router. The OS2 is using a ceiling mounted WiFi AP about 15' away.

The same think happens with SharkRF Link.
George Cotton, WB5JJJ
Russellville, Arkansas USA

guru46

Post by guru46 »

Nonoo,

Thank you very much....your suggestions worked and my OpenSpot 2 is back up and running! Quick question for you. Is there a way through the web interface to power the unit down or do you just unplug it? Thanks for all of your help!

Wade
KE0RNT

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Great!

The openSPOT2 can't turn itself off, you can just unplug it. The device is designed for 24/7 continuous operation, it uses very little power (see the specs).
SharkRF Team

N2NUT

Post by N2NUT »

I am having a similar issue. No lights. It worked for few minutes. I did the firmware upgrade and now no lights. I tried to get it into bootloader mode with the computer as listed above, but it appear to not be responding. It appears to have died. Any ideas?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Please see the last question at the Troubleshooting section in the user manual:

http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... oting.html

The device does not turn on, the LED is dark

Probably the openSPOT2 was plugged out during a firmware upgrade. Press the button and the upgrade process will continue.
SharkRF Team