OS2 delivers choppy audio after 5m of use.

va3yc

OS2 delivers choppy audio after 5m of use.

Post by va3yc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 am

I am having issues with a recently acquired OpenSpot2.

I have the following environment at my condo:

- OpenSpot v1 – paired with a TP-Link ethernet/wifi converter
- OpenSpot v2 – recent acquisition
- Ruggedspot clone
- AT-D868 VHF/UHF transceiver (AnyTone)
- CS-700 UHF transceiver (Connect Systems)
- 50/10 Mbps download/upload VDSL
- Apple Airport Express

OpenSpot v1 unit works flawlessly and it is based on that experience, that I decided to acquire the OpenSpot v2 for my travels.

The problem in a nutshell – the transmitted audio (received by remote user) during a long exchange (~3-5 minutes) becomes increasingly choppy and unintelligible. The BER displayed by the Status page remains below ~1%. Received audio is clean.

Details about the triage and problem discovery efforts - I can easily configure the OpenSpot v2 to integrate with my wireless network. TG 9999 plays back clean audio. Parrot audio (TG 9990) is sometimes clean and sometimes choppy. I have noticed that the “network” signal received by the OpenSpot2 is more orange and red. Regardless of how close the OpenSpot2 is to the AP, it has no appreciable gain or benefit.

I have completed a number of AutoCal attempts and I have the same result – All testing has been done with the AnyTone unit. When I have a battery for my CS700, I will run the same tests that I completed with the AnyTone.

I have done a factory reset and re-inserted the parameters. After a few minutes of use, the choppy audio returns.

Another suggestion was to reduce the tx power. This was done and the same result is yielded.

For every test that I completed with the OpenSpot v2, I would follow it up with the same test on the OpenSpot v1. V1 gave great audio results, but V2 would after a period would progress to choppy audio.

My suspicions:
- The OpenSpot2 hardware is overheating and it is impacting frequency stability of the unit.
- I believe the OpenSpot2 does not have the auto frequency control found in the OpenSpot1

The OpenSpot2 is not useable in it’s current configuration, what ideas or suggestions do you have so that I can use it with my handhelds?

73, Keith, VA3YC

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: OS2 delivers choppy audio after 5m of use.

Post by HA2NON » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm

As you wrote an email about this issue, let's continue the discussion there.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

va3yc

Post by va3yc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:33 pm

This is for the benefit of the folks that are following my initial post in this forum. I understand that there are a number of people that are watching and waiting for updates.

Keith
--------------------------------------------------

Norbert.

I operate from a condo, and the wi-fi RF pollution is heavy. I was on channel 11, which is heavily used, and I have moved to channel 5, which has been free.

I am awaiting a battery from Connect Systems, and I will test that radio in parallel to the AnyTone.

I will also place the OS2 next to the home router and see if I can sustain communication for longer than three minutes.

I will also test Fusion. I have a colleague that prefers that mode, and we bought our OS2’s at the same time. He gets the same result as myself, cannot sustain communications longer than 3-5 minutes with the the same issue of audio dropouts.

73, Keith, VA3YC
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 7.54.06 PM.png

Hello,

As you wrote, the network quality indicator shows that the network connection quality is not good. This can be caused by low Wi-Fi signal, interference, or network latency issues. Try placing the openSPOT2 closer to the Wi-Fi access point (router) or try switching the Wi-Fi channel on the router.

--
Norbert Varga
SharkRF

va3yc

Post by va3yc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Norbert

As promised I did complete further tests on the OpenSpot v2 and I am publishing the results here.

1. I placed the OpenSpot 2 directly on top of the Apple Access Point, at which point is the only time that I had reliable operation. Under the network page it showed a "green" light and the signal is -18 dbm. If I move the unit eight feet away, the signal bounced between orange and red, and communications could not be sustained. SIgnals bounced around the -61 dbm level.

2. I took my OpenSpot 1 and I inserted the TL802 TP-Link device in the line, forcing OpenSpot v1 traffic over a wireless channel. The unit was at least 25 feet away and the communications were solid. It had no issue competing with the other 2.4G users.
Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 4.41.43 PM.png
I believe that I am the owner of a OpenSpot 2 unit that was made in a second batch / run. Maybe the WiFi signal from the OS2 had to be reduced to allow stable operation. As such it cannot sustain connections over 10-15 feet. Forcing the user to stick the OpenSpot 2 close to the AP is not always practical or doable.

Is the concept for use of the OpenSpot2 different compared to v1? I surmise that you have a number of mobile users where the OpenSpot2 is adjacent to the mobile router / smart phone. A mobile would also be subjected to less interference.

73 Keith VA3YC

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am

Please only use Wi-Fi channels 1, 6, and 11 to lower interference: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html

The openSPOT2's Wi-Fi antenna is much smaller than the TP-Link device's antenna as the OS2 is designed to be small for carrying around for personal use.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

va3yc

Post by va3yc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 pm

A friend did drop by with another OS2 and we compared signal strength reading for different locations in the condo. They were quite similar.

Using a wifi scan tool, we did find a free channel (5), which we have switched to. Operations have improved.

I advise users to get their OS2 as close as they can to the AP. Many OS2 users come from those who had OS1 complemented with a TP-Link bridge. The bridge will come in handy as it also has a repeater mode for wifi.

Keith