FCS servers stop changing from FUSION radio

tony_b

FCS servers stop changing from FUSION radio

Post by tony_b » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Equipment: Yaesu FT-70DR radio, openSPOT1 (running 141 firmware).

Conditions: Initially set FCS FUSION mode and server/room from pc on home network. Everything works fine. FCS settings can easily be changed using "*srr" (asterisk, server single digit number, 2 digit room number) command from radio. openSPOT remains powered up continuously and functions normally on last FCS setting. Call logging on the Status tab also works normally.

Here's the problem:

After 1 or 2 days of inactivity of me not transmitting, I can no longer change FCS "FUSION rooms and reflectors" using the PTT depression and hold, plus "*srr". The openSPOT1 ignores these. My workaround is to reboot the openSPOT1 normally (not back to factory settings). The commands issued from the radio begin to work again after the reboot.

This seems like some kind of memory leak occurring in the openSPOT1's code over time. Can this be fixed to avoid needing to always reboot the openSPOT in order to "change channels"?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: FCS servers stop changing from FUSION radio

Post by HA2NON » Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 am

Is the openSPOT connected to the server (status LED green) while you try to switch rooms?
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

tony_b

Post by tony_b » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes. All green LED's are solidly lit. The red one also shows any activity on the currently chosen "channel". I can communicate normally on this server/FCS FUSION room that is indicated as the current selection on the status tab of the openSPOT web interface. I simply can no longer change servers and rooms until I reboot and "clear an unknown flag, RAM bit, or whatever it may be". Until then, RF command signals from the Yaesu radio with the DTMF tones to change the "active channel" are simply ignored.

Just to confirm, the RF simplex channel frequency indicated for the openSPOT and in the radio's LCD display remain the same. I am hearing the activity on the channel the openSPOT is broadcasting on the radio. I do hear a "tail of activity" on channel from the openSPOT (from the current channel's reflector) for a fraction of a second after I release the radio's PTT button, just no "openSPOT disconnected / openSPOT connected (to new channel)" announcement. So I don't suspect the openSPOT, nor my radio are doing any frequency shifting on transmit or receive.

The openSPOT simply begins to ignore *DTMF FCS server/room channel change commands after a period of a day or so of inactivity on my part with my radio. I'm guessing something is getting overwritten in your scratchpad memory that is causing this, but beyond this guess, I cannot go any further.

I hope my expanded description helps getting this issue tracked down. Thank you.

tony_b

Post by tony_b » Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 am

Nonoo:

It has now been about 24 hours since my openSPOT 1's last manual reboot.

I tried changing from FCS "290" (America-Link) to Ragchew "285" again tonight (Friday, 17 May; 2130 Arizona USA time) via the radio, by sending DTMF stream *285. Five "ignores" in a row occurred. Then another station called me on 290 and we had a nice QSO there. Afterward, I rebooted the openSPOT 1, depressed PTT on my radio, and sent *285. The radio changed the openSPOT setting to 285 on the first try. About 10 minutes later, I changed back to America-Link by sending DTMF *290...with no problems. It switched back to 290 on the first try.

So this really seems to be something that happens with the openSPOT 1 sitting idle for a period of minutes or hours.

Checking the status LED's on the openSPOT face shows normal operation of (left to right) green LED's 1, 2 and 4. They either remain on solidly or blink with activity. LED #3 is extinguished on a non-busy channel setting. It blinks red, fast, when the openSPOT is receiving on-channel communications over the Internet, and blinks green, fast again, when I am transmitting. The LED's seem to work OK even when the openSPOT will ignore channel change commands with the DTMF "* character preambled" four character FCS server/room change commands sent over the air.

Thank you for your willingness to investigate this.

73, Tony (W9MT)

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 am

We'll try to reproduce the issue next week.
SharkRF Team

tony_b

Post by tony_b » Sat May 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you.

One more piece of data for you...

It is now 0840 the following morning here in AZ. I just entered *285 to change from *290 to the new FCS FUSION server/room. The openSPOT 1 switched "channels" normally on the first try.

So the problem occurs only with more like 24 hours or more of transmit inactivity on my part.

73, Tony (W9MT)

n6cid

Post by n6cid » Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 pm

How long had the OS1 been up and running when these errors occurred?

tony_b

Post by tony_b » Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm

I never shut it down since I've loaded 141 firmware unless I need to physically relocate it. So, it's been up and on-line for months.

I've only been on FUSION for about the last 3 weeks. For the first week I changed servers/rooms via the openSPOT's web interface because I used YSF reflectors. Then when I learned that DTMF based commands could change FCS reflectors (basically the same channels as on YSF) via the radio, I switched to FCS mode. It is only in FCS mode I see the openSPOT ignoring the DTMF sent from my Yaesu radio these past two weeks. It only seems to occur after 24 hours or more of no activity initiated on my part to issue a channel change command via DTMF in FCS mode. There is NEVER a problem with changing FCS reflectors via the web interface.

I have also never had issues with DStar channel changing from the radio's RF on the openSPOT 1. In DMR mode (Homebrew/MMDVM), earlier firmware loads were not showing the multiple DMR TG's that I had allocated, but firmware load 141 fixed that. So there never were any issues with either DStar nor DMR mode developing the amnesia and ignoring of channel change commands in all of the time I've been on-line using firmware load 141.

One thing I have not tried is changing the FCS reflector via the web interface and then immediately afterward trying another channel change via the radio's DTMF over RF...and see if that also "shocks" the openSPOT 1 to begin taking DTMF channel changes WITHOUT a reboot. That might point more directly into which of the openSPOT's embedded software modules where the glitch may be occurring.

I will try that when the openSPOT 1 invariably begins to ignore the DTMF commands sometime tomorrow and see what happens. My bones and embedded software experience makes me think this is something very simple, but subtle, that is occurring to cause this issue.

73, Tony (W9MT)

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 am

We can't reproduce the issue. Our openSPOT1 still change FCS servers correctly even after 2 days of uptime. Tried several times during the 2 days and always worked correctly. Please send us your exported configuration profile file and we'll do further testing.
SharkRF Team

tony_b

Post by tony_b » Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Thank you. I have to work away from home for a few days but have a second openSPOT1 with me on which I can see if the issue is consistent across both devices. It will take me a few days to get to this. I will get back to you likely next week and send you the configuration file if the problem is present with the second openSPOT.

Regards, Tony (W9MT)