Constant beeping during receive

Bob_K6UDA

Constant beeping during receive

Post by Bob_K6UDA »

Is anyone else experiencing constant beeping during receive? It's basically taking out about 3/4 of received audio. I'm getting it across both Icom & Kenwood radios so it has to be in the openspot.

Bob K6UDA
PH0DV

Re: Constant beeping during receive

Post by PH0DV »

Hello,

If it's your radio that's beeping then you need to calibrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwN8ctMW-k

73's
PH0DV
Dick
PH0DV - Dick Vos - JO220PH - Huizen - Netherlands - http://www.ph0dv.nl
Bob_K6UDA

Post by Bob_K6UDA »

Thanks. This is happening on D-Star for me. I just tested it by transmitting from a friends D-Star repeater and everything sounded fine. There were several other stations though that I get the end of transmittion beep every few seconds during their transmission. Strange. It may be on their end, I just can't figure it out though.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

ID51 beeps when the received frames are out of sync. This is caused by network problems in the audio stream received by openSPOT.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Bob_K6UDA

Post by Bob_K6UDA »

I'm getting it on both icom radios and My Kenwood D74. I just switched over to my DV-mega for the moment until I get this figured out. Are there any adjustments I can make in software to fix this problem?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Please make sure you use the latest firmware version.

Which connector, reflector, module do you experience this problem? Does D-STAR local echo work fine?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Bob_K6UDA

Post by Bob_K6UDA »

I've been getting it on reflectors 30c, 14c & 1c. I tuned my IC5100 to a local D-Star repeater on 14c and transmitted a test. I listened on my Kenwood radio hooked up to the openspot and had no beeps or dropouts. I then turned on my DV Mega Hotspot and listened to normal traffic and did not get the beeps either.

I just unlinking from any reflector and doing an echo test. That also works fine with no dropouts during a long transmission.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

I think it's a network issue. Note that on busy reflectors like 1c and 30c, repeaters/stations often have a long link path to the given server, and uplink packet loss from the repeater/station to the reflector causes beeps on your radio. Also the data has to travel to your LAN from the server.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Bob_K6UDA

Post by Bob_K6UDA »

My question then would be, if my DVmega isn't getting the drop out, is there a setting in the openspot software to get it to hang just a bit longer so it detects the return of the TX state and not give the end of transmission beep?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

openSPOT automatically tries to handle missing packets to avoid sync problems which cause beeps. You can take a look at the dejitter queue graph on the status page (advanced mode needs to be turned on). Does it show the missing packets?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team