Ip settings

gcopter1

Ip settings

Post by gcopter1 »

Long time computer user, but not very savvy when it comes to IP address handling. My current setup is using a TP Link nano router that gets its internet from a wifi hotspot. If I go to the OpenSPOT settings and change DHCP to static, establish a working connection and shut down the OpenSPOT, would it re connect again?

Reason I ask is because lately, OpenSPOT does not connect right away as it used to, using the same router / hotspot combination. The status light on the OpenSPOT stays blinking red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Ip settings

Post by HA2NON »

openSPOT automatically reconnects. Blinking red means it is trying to reconnect.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
gcopter1

Post by gcopter1 »

HA2NON wrote:openSPOT automatically reconnects. Blinking red means it is trying to reconnect.
Yes. Problem is that, it stays like that...for a long while. Whereas before, it connected almost instantly.

gcopter1

Post by gcopter1 »

gcopter1 wrote:
HA2NON wrote:openSPOT automatically reconnects. Blinking red means it is trying to reconnect.
Yes. Problem is that, it stays like that...for a long while. Whereas before, it connected almost instantly.

That is, before I tried the current fix of changing from DHCP to static.

Don Breda

Post by Don Breda »

I am now on my second open spot and still have the same problems I did before. I just joined this form so I'm adding to this thread to say that there is a problem with the shark RF acquiring an IP address from a router.
I have tried three routers so far.
When I connect an open spot it rarely gets an IP address from the router I upgraded from the release firmware to the latest beta and that appear to solve the problem with one router for a little while unfortunately I had to change the port that the open spot was connected to and now no matter what I do it won't get an IP address anymore from the DHCP server I have used a Netgear nighthawk R 7500, and airport express using it's Lanae port connected in bridge mode and I have also used a UB cable modem router I actually had the most success with the UB however acquiring an IP address from a DHCP server is a no-brainer and this device seems to have tremendous problems in doing that reliably please please please! Can you lalk into this I don't want to return a second shark RF p this is such a great product and I know you have done some work on this issue which I can see you from the change logs in the betas however more work needs to be done I have been using routers and computers since before MS-DOS and have never had this problem with any device I have ever connected to any of my routers I don't know why it should be such an issue I'm not complaining just hoping for a real fix
It's very frustrating to not be able to use such a great product as the shark RF. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

What's the exact issue? The openSPOT is set to automatic DHCP, and it won't show up in your router's DHCP client list?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Don Breda

Post by Don Breda »

Sorry I didn't see your reply right away. Yes that is the exact issue I've had this with several routers. I am now using the shark RF successfully on a UB cable modem router but on all of my other routers it never gets an IP address from the DHCP server it shouldn't be that difficult I'm a little bit surprised but I have to say when it works it's a great product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Interesting, as we've used it with several routers and never had problems like this. openSPOT implements a standard DHCP client. Can you please name routers besides Netgear R7500 and AirPort Express which did not work for you?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Mako

Post by Mako »

While trying to get a Linksys router to recognize my Shark I, I looked at Shark's network setting and found an IP for the Static mode. The IP was out of the range of router DHCP so I changed it but it didn't help. Shark's info still does not show up in the Linksys client list. The "modum" LED on the Shark is unlit, but it appears to receive a signal now and then. Could there be some port setting involved?
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Using the DHCP IP configuration mode (this is the default) is recommended. Verify that the ETH LED is green, if not, use a different port on your router, or use a different cable.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team