Manually Upgrading Firmware

G1VNA

Manually Upgrading Firmware

Post by G1VNA »

Hi
After a non connection issue with the web interface I was informed that the firmware was out of date on my Open Spot 3. I followed the link and instructions on how to load the new software using my computer (in my case a MacBook Pro running BigSur) Following the instructions I created the Bootloader drive on my computer and copied the upgrade file to it. According to the instructions the LED should start blinking red/green for 2-3 minutes then go steady green. My LED is flashing green only and has been for a number of minutes now, in excess of 10, it has not gone steady. What should I do?
Thanks
Chris
G1VNA
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Manually Upgrading Firmware

Post by HA2NON »

The LED should be steady white if the bootloader is running. Make sure you've plugged the openSPOT3 using a USB cable into the computer, and then press and hold both buttons on the openSPOT3 for at least 10 seconds. The LED will become steady white, and the drive called BOOTLOADER will appear on your computer.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

G1VNA, good luck as I have been dealing with that issue for the last several weeks, seemed to happen after the last firmware update came out. Anyway mine has stayed steady red, then after doing the manual firmware update at least 30 times i too get the steady Green, Now I get the Green and Amber but even after I load my wifi network information to the Openspot3 I can connect to it as the unit responds " Your Openspot3's firmware is too old ! What the heck? I just did the manual firmware update per HA2NON's post (over 30 times). I have had a bunch of correspondence with him and another guy and I am not sure if there is a language problem or they are robots but I get the same reply you got and I have wrote lengthy explanations as to the problem and always get the "Do a manual firmware update" I have even offered to pay the shipping to send the unit to them and see if they can get it back on line, so far no response on that offer. I also see a lot of people complaine about firmware update problems. sad and painful as these units are not cheap. Good luck and let me know if you get your to work...so far still blinks green and amber..
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

@Fusion2u Please send us a screenshot of the Device info section on the Status page to info@sharkrf.com and refer to this forum thread.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
KI5AKX

Post by KI5AKX »

I am trying to manually upgrade firmware on OP3 and on my Windows 10 machine I can see the bootloader flash drive appear but it has a yellow triangle next to it and it says to troubleshoot. When I do, it says there is no driver for the flash drive. I have switched ports to no avail.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The openSPOT3's bootloader emulates a standard USB flash drive, and it does not need any drivers. Try using a different USB cable or a different computer.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team