OS3 vs OS4 Pro

AI7HL

OS3 vs OS4 Pro

Post by AI7HL »

With the announcement of the openSPOT4 Pro... I am comparing it to my current openSPOT3. I see almost no difference. The openSPOT4 Pro features look almost identical.

My guess is, the openSPOT4 Pro was not intended as an upgrade for the openSPOT3. But rather hardware component shortages necessitated a redesign... which gave us the openSPOT4.

The openSPOT3 was very near perfect. Hard to improve on that.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: OS3 vs OS4 Pro

Post by HA2NON »

The main difference is that the openSPOT4 Pro has a completely redesigned hardware and software, with a multicore CPU and completely new Wi-Fi module, which means the web interface and update downloads are blazing fast. The built-in battery has larger capacity, and the device can work much longer than the openSPOT3 thanks to the new hardware and optimized software.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
1badsup

Post by 1badsup »

Am I understanding it correctly to assume that the OpenSpot4 doesn't support call audio playback and DSTAR crossmode?

So basically, OpenSpot4 has the same functionality as the OpenSpot2 and OpenSpot4 Pro is the improved version of OpenSpot3?
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

HA2NON wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:20 am The main difference is that the openSPOT4 Pro has a completely redesigned hardware and software, with a multicore CPU and completely new Wi-Fi module, which means the web interface and update downloads are blazing fast. The built-in battery has larger capacity, and the device can work much longer than the openSPOT3 thanks to the new hardware and optimized software.
Now that is useful information, is that on the product pages? I didn't see that description.

Is the WiFi module capable of using 5GHz? I only saw 2.4GHz compatibility mentioned.
Brian G8SEZ
KB1CRN

Post by KB1CRN »

According to the specs, it’s only 2.4Ghz
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

KB1CRN wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:22 am According to the specs, it’s only 2.4Ghz
Yes, I saw that, but was wondering if maybe the module used had been improved (well it has, the sensitivity of the Rx is 4-5dB better for a start) but lots of people have been asking after 5GHz capability and I wondered if there might be a way of enabling that in future. Depends on the available hardware I suppose.

I did notice that the battery capacity is 1300mAh against 1200 in the OS3, the OS4 seems to be using a much lower power CPU as the battery life is shown as 30 hours instead of 10 hours.
Brian G8SEZ