Traveling with the OS3

boonwd

Traveling with the OS3

Post by boonwd »

Greetings,
i travel for work and plan to take my brand new OS3 with me on my journeys.
this discussion pertains to using and connecting the OS3 with hotel wifi services.
not tried yet so wanting to get a jump on process before i hit the road.
typically and where i tend to stay (IHG) the hotel wifi requires activation on the wifi webpage.
since i've yet to make that attempt, requesting any feedback from other operators that likely have already crossed that bridge. i can't predict how Sharkrf Link will respond to the activation page. or if there's difficulty or even the possibility of making the wifi connection.
best wishes and thanks in advance.
KO4KLR
KH6RD

Re: Traveling with the OS3

Post by KH6RD »

I have done the same and I have only had success weathering to my phone or cellular hotspot.

Good Luck,

Rob KH6RD
Number6

Post by Number6 »

KH6RD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:01 pm I have done the same and I have only had success weathering to my phone or cellular hotspot.

Good Luck,

Rob KH6RD
This is also my experience. spent 4 months living in hotels and temporary living situations. the most successful was to use the phone hot spot feature. I finally gave up due to running out of Data, although I had unlimited data on the plan they slow down the feed to the point the openspot will stop working.
1badsup

Post by 1badsup »

When your iPhone is connected to the hotel Wifi and you're OpenSpot3 is connected via the iPhone personal hotspot, you are basically going through the hotel Wifi.
Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter »

1badsup wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:19 pm When your iPhone is connected to the hotel Wifi and you're OpenSpot3 is connected via the iPhone personal hotspot, you are basically going through the hotel Wifi.
If you have the hotspot active surely the WAN connection is via 3, 4 or 5G cellular?
Brian G8SEZ
1badsup

Post by 1badsup »

Maybe this is specific to my carrier, US T-Mobile, personal hotspot on iPhone13 goes through my home or hotel WiFi.
KD7AAT

Post by KD7AAT »

I use a TP-Link router (there are others). I connect it to the hotel/motel wifi then connect all of my stuff to it. The motel only sees one connection but I have my laptop, phone, openspot 3 linked to it. It takes only plugging it in, connecting your computer/laptop to it then connecting the TP to the motel. It works like a charm and when the wifi from the motel is good your connections through the TP are great.
KD7AAT
oxoocoffee

Post by oxoocoffee »

I think you are also asking for built in Captive Portal support in Open Spot.
I am also interested in such support where I posted https://forum.sharkrf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6482, but still waiting for input from support.
AI7HL

Post by AI7HL »

1badsup wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:19 pm When your iPhone is connected to the hotel Wifi and you're OpenSpot3 is connected via the iPhone personal hotspot, you are basically going through the hotel Wifi.
I believe that a cell phone only has one wifi radio. You're either connected to the hotel wifi with it, or you're connecting to it with your openSPOT. Not both.