OS4 Fails and Reset Using P25 and Reports Wrong Talkgroups

W2GLD

OS4 Fails and Reset Using P25 and Reports Wrong Talkgroups

Post by W2GLD »

Attempting to use the newly received openSPOT4, with v11 firmware and when trying to run AutoCal, modem stops receiving and the causes the webUI to reboot and reset back to the previous settings.

Additionally, when selecting talkgroups, for example TG 31266, the openSPOT is reporting the talkgroup in the WebUI as "TG# 8826" and the voice announcements report the same issue.

As of this firmware, the openspot4 is essentially useless for P25 at this time.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
W2GLD

Re: OS4 Fails and Reset Using P25 and Reports Wrong Talkgroups

Post by W2GLD »

P25 Reporting Incorrect Talkgroup.jpg
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

P25 AutoCal Resetting Modem UI - Fails to Complete.gif
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

We'll fix the displayed talkgroup issue in today's firmware upgrade. It is displayed in the wrong format on the web interface, but this should not affect operation. Do you use a P25 transceiver for the AutoCal?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Yes, I have attempted AutoCal using two different radios with the same results as shown in the video, radios used were a Motorola APX8000 and Kenwood NX5300.

Also something I noticed is that when the OpenSPOT is receiving P25 traffic, the green RX light stops blinking unlike other modes that indicate the device is receiving inbound traffic.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

The LED may switch randomly between RX and special connector active during AutoCal.

If the web interface reload happens frequently, then try placing the OS4 closer to the Wi-Fi AP. Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed). If it still happens, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

First, I have loaded v12 FW a few moments ago and one of these two issues is fixed. The TG# display and announcement messages are now working as expected; however, the second issue is still occurring and is a pretty major issue as we cannot auto-adjust for BER at all because the device/web UI continually resets.

With that, you suggestion here about changing WiFi channels or moving the device closer to the router has zero logic as that isn't the issue. First of all, customers, including myself, ARE NOT going to change their Wi-Fi configurations because this device doesn't seem to follow Wi-Fi standards or may be affected by nearfield RF when no other devices have this issue, including the previous openSPOT3's I have sitting here.

The RUT's (radios under test) are all set at the lowest power setting (1w) and confirmed, both on frequency and power levels on Aeroflex 3920B calibrated service equipment. As to the Wi-Fi configuration, I have a Ubiquity Unifi network with exceptional Wi-Fi coverage through my location; simply moving the device closer to the router/access point is an excuse not to address the core issue within the firmware/software UI.

In testing it again today with v12 FW, the same situation occurs and AutoCal is completely useless on the openSPOT4 under P25 native mode; now with four different RUT's being evaluated; it's clearly an openSPOT4 issue as all RUT's work with the openSPOT3, Pi-Star and real-life TIA compliant P25 infrastructure. Please re-evaluate your firmware/software and make the necessary adjustments; otherwise P25 is basically useless as a native mode on this device as it stands today!

I work professionally in this industry segment and with P25 products at all levels (subscribers and infrastructure), so I am happy to provide input and resources as well as testing to help get P25 more inline with expectations, similar to what folks using Pi-Star and other MMDVM device enjoy today, if you want that help that is...

To recap, correct TG display and voice announcement is fixed and working as expected under v12 FW; AutoCal is still very much broken...
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

We've been able to reproduce the issue and working on a fix.
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
W2GLD

Post by W2GLD »

Thank you for retesting and confirming the issue. As an update, I installed v13 FW this morning and ran some tests and it appears both of these issues are now resolved under v13 FW.

P25 AutoCal and Talkgroup reporting issues are resolved, thank you for the prompt attention and open discussions on issues found in testing.
Jerry, W2GLD
CCS7# 3126008