OpenSPOT Problem - DStar - Transmits Causes Double Connects Each Time

K3RRR

OpenSPOT Problem - DStar - Transmits Causes Double Connects Each Time

Post by K3RRR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 pm

2018-08-06_15-37-24.jpg
OpenSPOT Problem - DStar

Note: I am so new to DStar that I still have my umbilical cord attached!

I am receiving fine with openSPOT and my ICOM 9100 on various channels for DSTAR.

The problem is that every time I try to transmit, I hear two reconnect messages as shown on screen grab of the openSPOT Status here. (Note the times of the log.)

So far as I know, no one has ever heard me.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

73 de Robert K3RRR

Todd

Re: OpenSPOT Problem - DStar - Transmits Causes Double Connects Each Time

Post by Todd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 am

Robert,

Your problem has nothing to do with your OpenSpot. You are not properly registered on the D-Star system. You seem to have the first step done and started the registration through the KV3B repeater system but you haven't completed the second step.

When your initial signup was processed the KV3B system admin should have sent you an email with some explicit instructions on the follow-up steps you needed to perform. In a nutshell you need to log into the KV3B registration page and set up one or more Terminals in D-Star. Then whatever terminal you register needs to get put into the "Local Module" box on the OpenSpot's Connector page. The letters have to match and it has to be valid.

The Terminal registration does not require a system admin to approve it. So as soon as you get a Terminal registered you will be all fixed up and that 9100 and your OpenSpot will work just fine.

You can check your full D-Star registration status at this link. You can put my callsign into that site to see the difference between our registrations, just as an example.

https://wb1gof.dstargateway.org/cgi-bin ... sign=k3rrr

Todd - NR7RR

K3RRR

Post by K3RRR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:19 am

Thanks Todd...I am so new to this that I don't know what I don't know...so will take care of that tomorrow...very much appreciate the heads up...it explains a lot!

BTW, I like your call except a number got in the way... :D :D :D

73 de Robert K3RRR

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 am

73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

Todd

Post by Todd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 am

Hey Lajos,

Robert, that link that Lajos sent is to a copy of the email that I was referring to. Nice step by step stuff. It is good to keep or print out for future reference. In the future someone you know will have the same problem and you can fix them up with the pdf.

Todd - NR7RR

K3RRR

Post by K3RRR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:43 am

Am I supposed to check Access Point boxes?
2018-08-07_0-42-28.jpg

Todd

Post by Todd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:48 am

Those boxes are the Delete this row controls. Don't check unless you want them gone.

Just make sure you enter one of those letters (E, F, H, or K) into the Local Module box on the OpenSpot Connector screen. The Advanced Mode box (lower right corner) must be checked to see that box.

Todd - NR7RR

K3RRR

Post by K3RRR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:54 am

I must still be doing something wrong...still get double reconnect msgs / transmit button....btw, I put a space in for the first entry...is that right?
Attachments
2018-08-07_0-51-19.jpg

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:54 am

I think you tick access point option check box only then you have "access point" or "terminal" capable radio (Icom ID-4100, ID-51 Plus 2).
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

Todd

Post by Todd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:58 am

Your registration is all good now.

Have you made the changes to the OpenSpot's Connector page? Until it has a valid letter in Local Module it still won't let you on the network.

Plus, you may need to allow a few hours for the full D-Star system to propogate your update globally. If you made the OpenSpot changes and it still doesn't work just sit tight and try again in the morning after everything has got a copy of your updates.

Todd - NR7RR