Is The "Remember Me" Option Cosmetic?

cyberjew

Is The "Remember Me" Option Cosmetic?

Post by cyberjew » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:37 am

Maybe it's just me.... I've tried to use the "Remember Me" option countless times and, no matter which browser I use, it never seems to work.

Does anyone else run into this?

I often use my Openspot in the car and I like to keep a browser connected so I can view callsigns and other info. Having to type in my password while I'm supposed to be driving with both hands on the steering wheel is not at all desirable.

I'm a security engineer by trade and, while it pains to ask this, is there an option to disable authentication on the Openspot? Maybe a hidden setting of sorts? It's not ideal, but in cases where I have to drive, I'd like to be able to disable the need to authenticate.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Is The "Remember Me" Option Cosmetic?

Post by HA2NON » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 am

openSPOT forgets login tokens when you power it off. The remember me feature only works if you do not power it off.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Tyrbiter

Post by Tyrbiter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 am
openSPOT forgets login tokens when you power it off. The remember me feature only works if you do not power it off.
I very rarely power off my openSPOT, the remember me selection has never worked for me. This is with Chrome and Firefox.
Brian

DO1IP

Post by DO1IP » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm

same here!
73s, de DO1IP
Udo 8-)

cyberjew

Post by cyberjew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I think it would be a safe assumption that people are taking their Openspots with them wherever they go. I frequently pack mine in a little case along with a cellular hotspot and Ethernet/Wi-Fi bridge so I can use mine on the go.

That said, I power mine on and off all the time. I would have to think others have similar use-cases.

It would be great if you can modify the behavior so the token/cookie is written to flash and persists across reboots. Outside of the Openspot not containing Wi-Fi, this is my only complaint about the product.

Is this something you would give consideration to adding in a future firmware release? Or an option to disable authentication altogether?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 am

You can disable the authentication by setting an empty web server password.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

K7CTC

Post by K7CTC » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:20 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 am
You can disable the authentication by setting an empty web server password.
Thank you Nonoo! I never even thought to do this.