PiStar/Zumspot Devices with SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server

W2MPR

PiStar/Zumspot Devices with SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server

Post by W2MPR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 am

Hello,

I have finally got my SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server up and running, and it works very well. I have no issues with my buddies who connect to my server with OpenSpot hotspots. Is there any way that my friends who are using PiStar devices like the Zumspot, and DV Mega can also connect and use my server? I can't seem to find any information on this. If this is possible, what would PiStar users need to do in order to connect to my SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server? I would appreciate any detailed information anyone has.

Thank you,

W2MPR

Martin

vocoder

Re: PiStar/Zumspot Devices with SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server

Post by vocoder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm

The SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server only works with openSPOTS.

W2MPR

Post by W2MPR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Good morning. Thank you for the reply. Is there any other server protocol on Linux or Windows that I can run to create my own private network where users with OpenSpots and other hotspot devices can connect to it? Can anyone point me in that direction? I want to have a private server and be able to have anyone connect with any device. I appreciate any detailed information anyone can provide.

Thank you,

W2MPR

Martin

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Which digital radio protocol are you wanting to use? DMR? System Fusion?

W2MPR

Post by W2MPR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I currently have both. Everyone I would include also has both modes.

W2MPR

k9agr

Post by k9agr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:03 pm

I suggest you look into the DVSwitch project.

It can basically connect nearly anything to nearly anything else. You could set up a single server that supports all the protocols (and perhaps even bridge with the openspot ip connector server as well), and conference them all together, and have any of your users on your private network use pretty much any hotspot mode to connect and still talk to the others. You can even link it to allstarlink, and add in "analog" comms as well.

https://kv4s.com/2018/05/23/hosting-an- ... the-cloud/ is a good starting point for that.

The nice thing is it's lightweight enough even a raspberry pi can handle it, and system agnostic enough you can run it on nearly anything, and interconnect between voice modes, transcode, etc depending on your configuration and underlying hardware capabilities.

Also, I've seen some people suggest adding the sharkrf ip connector protocol to the pi-star system. So it's possible someone will follow through with that some day. But in the mean time, rolling your own system makes a lot of sense to me.

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I agree DVSwitch has some amazing tools for interconnecting networks, but it can be a lot to wrap your head around -- it's hard to know where to start. I would also suggest looking at the YSFReflector since you're only interested in YSF and DMR. If you're connecting an openSPOT1 to the YSFReflector you'd be limited to YSF, but connections using Pi-Star, and presumably the openSPOT2, you could use YSF or DMR by utilizing the cross mode operation (i.e. DMRtoYSF)

It would look like this:

DMR <--> <--DMRtoYSF--> <YSFReflector> <--YSF-->

There's also a dashboard you can install on the YSFReflector.

I haven't tried what I'm suggesting, but in theory it should work. :lol:

W2MPR

Post by W2MPR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Vocoder and KD4PPG,

Thank you for the info and good morning. Shortly after I replied here yesterday, I stumbled upon an interesting article about HBLink. HBLink is an MMDVM master server. I have successfully installed it on my Linux server and have it up and running. I work as a network system engineer for an IT company here in New York City and have been dealing with computers for years, but have never really messed with Linux this deeply. I am currently running the WSL Ubuntu 18.04 LTS distribution. WSL is Windows Subsystem for Linux. It basically adds the full Linux terminal and kernel as a subsystem in Windows 10. It is amazing and uses hardly any resources on my PC. I was able to install Python and an array of other modules like PHP and Apache 2 for web services. I honestly learned more about Linux command line in the last 3 days than in the last 20 years lol.

Here is an article that explains how to set up Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as a subsystem in windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/how-to-inst ... on-your-pc

Here is the article I found which explains how to get HBLink server up and running.

https://bubbazanetti.blogspot.com/2017/ ... megas.html

I hit a few snags with the Linux commands, but used Google for various errors I received along the way, and figured out what I was doing wrong. The end result is a fully working MMDVM master server that I had 3 buddies connecting to with SharkRF OpenSpots, and ZumSpot PiStar hotspots perfectly. We spoke for a few hours last night all connected to my server with no issues at all. It was really cool to have somewhere to rag chew without interrupting our local repeater and TG for hours. I now need to figure out how to run a web dashboard for HBLink. The dashboard that comes with the SharkRF IP Connector Protocol Server is really nice, and was hoping I could do something similar with HBLink. I stumbled upon an article which explains it, but it seems a little more complicated, so I am going to fall back on that for now.

Here is the dashboard article.

https://github.com/n0mjs710/HBmonitor

The last thing that I want to try and figure out is how to bridge my clubs WiresX node to an HBLink server like I am running now. The idea is that we want to have a way into our WiresX room for people who have HotSpots and DMR radios. Right now I know that Brandmeister can do it through their master servers. We would like not to rely on Brandmeister for that. I stumbled upon an article explaining how they do it with their system and want to figure out if we can do that on our own server. How are they linking the talk group to our WiresX node? That is going to be a project, but I am willing to figure it out.

Here is the article I found on Braindmeister’s site.

https://bm.pd0zry.nl/index.php/WIRES-X

When I see these configuration scripts, I am not sure how to install those. Are they just text that I need to create a file in an editor, and place it in a certain directory? That is what confuses me about Linux. I can handle the commands and the copy and paste, but when it comes to the code text, I am lost.

Well that is all that I have figured out in the last few days. That should give you a better idea of where I am at with all this stuff. I really love the digital stuff especially because there is a lot of computer and networking aspects that brings to HAM radio. Any ideas or input you have would be greatly appreciated and of course if I can provide you with any ideas on my end that would be awesome as well.

All and all I pretty much accomplished what I initially set out to do. We have a private network where we can talk all we want, with our HotSpots and radios. Once again, thank you gentlemen for taking the time to read and reply to my posts with some great information.

73’s

Martin
W2MPR

vocoder

Post by vocoder » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 pm

W2MPR wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm
Vocoder and KD4PPG,

Thank you for the info and good morning. Shortly after I replied here yesterday, I stumbled upon an interesting article about HBLink. HBLink is an MMDVM master server....
Awesome. Thanks for sharing the links. You may already know this, but for the benefit of the people that might read this thread in the future, HBLink is a tool provided by DVSwitch. HB in HBLink stands for "HomeBrew". HomeBrew is the transport protocol MMDVM uses. Hence the "HomeBrew/MMDVM" connector in the openSPOT. DVSwitch has a Google document that covers the different tools they provide. There's a lot of neat interconnect stuff you can do.

I believe MMDVM_Bridge is DVSwitch's replacement for their HBLink, but if you have HBLink working I'd stick with it. :D

Congratulations on your accomplishment. It's nice when things work and you can accomplish what you set out to do.

PA3BZT

Post by PA3BZT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Is it possible to run this setup on a Raspberry Pi rather than using a PC that runs the server
to interconnect the different hotspots?