Shark V1 + Adaptor + iPad

Nik S

Shark V1 + Adaptor + iPad

Post by Nik S » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi Guys

I have been experimenting with a cheap lightning to RJ45 adaptor lead/box from ebay in attempt to use my iPad as a mobile data bearer for my Shark v1. The iPad seems to see the adaptor and allocates it an IP address and looking at the LED's the Shark appears to be attempting to connect to the specified server but with no joy. If I plug the Shark into my domestic router everything is fine. I am a radio guy and not at all a computer guy so it's likely that what I wish to do with this adaptor isn't possible at all with this configuration or that I haven't configured the iPad correctly, so any advice would be much appreciated. 73 and many thanks in anticipation.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Shark V1 + Adaptor + iPad

Post by HA2NON » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:25 am

You'll need a DHCP server running on the iPad which is accessible on the Ethernet adapter so the openSPOT can get an IP address from it.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

Nik S

Post by Nik S » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you for your reply Nonoo. I have no idea how to achieve this, I am a former radio engineer with limited computer networking experience. When I insert the adaptor the iPad settings page's ethernet options appear under settings. The DHCP page shows an IP address of: 169.254.174.177 and subnet mask of: 255.255.0.0 the fields for Router, DNS, Search Domains and client ID are blank.

I also have the option to move across to DHCP Manual, BootP and Static, the adaptor is illuminated and flashes occasionally. The openspot's Red Status LED is flashing rapidly the ACT flashes slowly and the modem and ETH ACT are off.

Anyone?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:32 am

If ETH is off then there is no Ethernet link between the adaptor and the openSPOT2, so you need to fix that first as IP address acquiring through DHCP can only happen after there's a working Ethernet link.
SharkRF Team

Nik S

Post by Nik S » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you again for trying to assist me, it is most appreciated.

I now have the ETH LED steady on (My fault, I messed up, when the iPad sleeps it turns off ethernet - I hadn't noticed) there is now an occasional flash from the adaptor's casing illumination that is echoed by the ETH LED on the openspot so, the adaptor is seeing the openspot or vice versa and the iPad see's the adaptor but only allocates the adaptor itself an IP Address once the openspot v1 is in circuit and powered up.

ACT is flashing slowly and Status is flashing rapidly so I assume it still can't see the nominated server.

Safari can't find the openspot web interface. I tried disabling both WIFI and Mobile Data so it had no other live connection other than the ethernet adaptor, but still nothing. Have now spent lots of time reading lot's on the web about iPad's and DHCP issues but nothing appears relevant at all in terms of this specific scenario.

Can't find any other parameters within the iPad's network related settings that might impact on the openspot's visibility.

Unless this is a case of me having to D/L an App to manage how the iPad interfaces with networked peripherals connected to it via it's Lightning port, this is far too time consuming to engineer and I will re evaluate whether to deploy the openspot for this purpose at all going forward.

It's a shame, but unless it's DI'd into a domestic router I'm unable to use it and I have a homebrew Brandmeister linked wide area UHF MMDVM repeater at my home address which negates any requirement for it when I'm within service area anyway, so, I am now only persisting out of stubbornness because I don't want it to 'beat me'.

I just plugged it back into the domestic router and it was 'plug and play' so the openspot is working fine and continues to be as 'bombproof' in that regard as it always has been historically.

I am very tempted to bin this ethernet adaptor and source a suitable (cheap) WIFI enabled mini travel router instead to allow me multiple bearer options - any recommendations of a suitable model to use as a 'plug and play' alternative?

Reg's, N...

Nik S

Post by Nik S » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 pm

More research today on multiple Apple support fora has led me to believe this was never viable in the first place.

I think from what I have read today that it isn't possible for an iPad to provide a mobile data connection to another device that's hard wired to it's Lightning port via an Ethernet adaptor. It is of course perfectly reasonable to provide the iPad itself network connectivity in this way, but not the other way round (apparently).

I have just ordered a TP-Link TL-WR802N as I'm confident that will tether with the iPad's personal hot spot option without issue and it's easily powered and portable.

It was worth a go - every day's a school day...

N...

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am

You should get an openSPOT2 which is perfect for mobile operation directly with your iPad's shared Wi-Fi connection. :)
SharkRF Team

Nik S

Post by Nik S » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting - You're one of the good guy's.

I hope someone finds my tiny bit of research on this matter of some use going forward and yes, the V2 does look very good, however, where you guy's really excel against the competition is after sales support and that's witnessed throughout the SharkRF community pages 8-)

For just over £20 delivered that TP Link nano will do what I want and allow me to tether the V1 openSPOT to my cell, or my workplace WIFI, or the iPad or a dongle etc etc.

Thanks again for the timely responses Nonoo...

Reg's, N...