Connect Kenwood TH-D74 to openspot2 D star

KI5DZU

Connect Kenwood TH-D74 to openspot2 D star

Post by KI5DZU » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 am

I am trying to connect the Kenwood TH-D74 to the Openspot 2 however I think I may have messed up something. In the videos there is some sort of announcement that says that you are connected. However I do not receive a message. How do I contact to this radio to the hotspot?

Maybe I have some settings wrong on my radio

I also get a couple errors codes I think this is the major problem...

In the open spot connector menu when I click check Dstar registration and it tells me “your registration is invalid click here to find out more” once I click it I’m taken to a page that
Tells me

Multi Registration! (10)
Wrong Terminal Registration! (11)
Please double check this registration at Trust Server Database Direct Inquiry! (15)

And I may have set up something wrong.

What would be my next step to correct this problem?

I’d really love to use this device it seems like it was very easy to setup but I am having lots of difficulties... probably because am new to dstar and amateur radio in general.

Thanks for any direction you can give ...

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Connect Kenwood TH-D74 to openspot2 D star

Post by HA2NON » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 am

First let's test the connection between your radio and the OS2:

- Set the Null connector's modem mode to D-STAR, set the frequency and click on the Save button
- Activate the Null connector by click on the Switch to selected button at the top of the Connectors page
- Set the URCALL in your radio to .......E (seven spaces and an E). Press PTT on your radio and say something, and then release the PTT. Do you hear yourself back?

If yes, set the URCALL back to CQCQCQ, and use the Quick Setup to connect the OS2 to a server. A valid D-STAR registration is only needed on old DCS and REF/XRF servers like REF001 or REF030. Usually the server accepts your connection, but you won't be able to transmit on the server.

You have to log in to the server where you've made the registration to fix it. You can find the link to the registration server on the registration check page: https://wb1gof.dstargateway.org/cgi-bin ... ign=ki5dzu
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

KI5DZU

Post by KI5DZU » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am

Ok thanks!

I have successfully completed a echo test. I hear myself fine. I hear myself. And then an announcement “e”

Then using quick setup I change to cqcqcq I get a voice message that says “open spot trying to connect to server”

I don’t think I can connect as the message just repeats.

I have tried a few reflectors

REF001
REF002
REF003
REF004

With similar results. I have also contacted d-star admin to see if they can help clean up my registration issue.

Anything else I can try while I wait to hear from them?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 pm

REF001 connect for me fine with your callsign. Please note that you have to change the urcall to CQCQCQ in your radio, not in the openSPOT2. Please post a screenshot of your REF/XRF connector configuration and we'll check your settings.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

KI5DZU

Post by KI5DZU » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello I was able to get it running from my Kenwood TH-D74a

Here’s what I did

1. I reset radio to factory clearing all memory
2. I made sure that the radio carries my callsign in the memory
3. I connected to ref001 module c
4. Checked if System was operational

Success! Thanks for your help