Wires connection

K3SLS

Wires connection

Post by K3SLS » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm having an issue with creating a reliable Wires connection to the OpenSPOT2 using an FT2D. I've tried all combinations of deviation, power, YSF, FCS, etc...and multiple times The issue occurs on both V38 and V39 firmwares. The radio is set to single V/M and I've tried both VFO and Mem modes. When I touch the Wires button, I see a short transmission from the radio (observed on another radio and the red TX LED on the primary), the flashing "P" appears...then 24 out of 25 times the radio times out. I assume that means no response from the OS/2. Occasionally, I get the "W" connection, but when I then attempt to search or direct connect to an ID, I again get a timeout.
My Internet connection is excellent (100mbps symetrical) and doesn't display any packet loss.
I've surely configured something incorrectly...but what? I'm at a loss. Suggestions appreciated.
73 de K3SLS Steve

n6cid

Re: Wires connection

Post by n6cid » Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Copied from HA2NON reply earlier last month to another wires-x question.

Please see the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... utton.html at the listing servers section: The first 5 entries will be your openSPOT2's configuration profiles. This allows you to easily switch between the openSPOT2 configuration profiles using your radio's menu.

The Wires-X button feature on your Fusion radio is used by your radio to search, list, and store servers using the radio's display. It does not connect to the Wires-X network.

K3SLS

Post by K3SLS » Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 am

I think the link you posted was shortened and your intended reference is http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... utton.html
Thanks, but I've read through that section several times and it doesn't provide any additional info that might help.
I do understand using the WiRES-X button doesn't connect to the WiRES-X network but only provides server/room lists as already downloaded by the OS/2. The problem is the failure of the WiRES-X key to initiate a connection to the OS/2 and reliably receiving a response. Searching available resources is the intent, not just storing a few in a profile.

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 am

"the red TX LED on the primary), the flashing "P" appears...then 24 out of 25 times the radio times out. "
The "P" appears on radio display means you have turn on the VFO dual receive function in your radio menu (priority memory channel is selected). Please turn off (operating manual page 97). Please check half deviation function in radio menu also. This settings should be turn off.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

K3SLS

Post by K3SLS » Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

Actually, the flashing "P" appears in both VFO (same freq. as mem mode) or memory mode as I stated previously and the radio is not in dual receive mode. Interestingly, when starting from memory mode the radio returns to VFO mode after the timeout. I've tried both deviation settings with no joy. The manual states "If the openSPOT2's modem is in C4FM (or C4FM Half Deviation) modem mode, then the device will automatically broadcast Wires-X information which will be displayed on radios in Wires-X mode."
Just not getting anywhere with this...

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm

I don't see a P on our FT2D. You should try find out how to avoid the P showing up.

Also test your connection between your radio and the OS2 with the OS2's built-in local echo. More information about this is in the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... calls.html

Do you hear yourself back correctly?
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Please don't use priority memory channel "P" so turn this function off. The Wires-X connection function works in memory or VFO band "A" only on your rig.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

n6cid

Post by n6cid » Thu May 16, 2019 3:11 pm

K3SLS Steve, wasn't sure if you had seen the others posts regarding wires stuff.

Just tried to help out.

Regards, Barry

K3SLS

Post by K3SLS » Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Gents...out of desperation, I've wiped the radio and the OS2. Reloaded only what's needed to get basic communication to the Internet for the OS2 and manually added both a VFO entry and a mem channel to the radio. Apparently, mem channel 1 in the radio has the priority flag set by default after a reset. You can move priority to a different channel, but that's it. A channel must be flagged. Doing all that allows me to reliably start the Wires function to the OS2.
Now here's the good part...I then used RT Systems software (Mac version) to read the radio, made a minor unrelated, alteration to the file (lamp dimmer setting), then sent it back to the radio. Wires will no longer connect! It seems the software is adding/removing/changing something that affects the Wires connection. I've called RT Systems to discuss but their tech folks are all at Hamvention. I'll document this and some other minor bugs I've found in an email to their support folks.
Thanks to all, I appreciate your time and suggestions. I thought I was long retired from debugging software. :cry:

ve7wae

Post by ve7wae » Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 am

I use a ft991a and have the same problem. OS2 talks to the radio but both echo and the X button do not work. So the question is why? This is a major problem.....
I have a preset freq set in memory, wifi, uhf signals and internet speed are plenty strong. C4fm half or full deviation does not matter.

Follow-up on this post:

I may have found the problem: Either wifi may have been too weak or UHF signal to/from the OS2 may have had multipath issues due to indoor structures. After I relocated the OS2, ensuring wifi is strong and the OS2 is away from furniture, the problem appears to be gone.....
Last edited by ve7wae on Sun May 19, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.