Openspot2 issues with ID-51a DSTAR

supercazzola

Openspot2 issues with ID-51a DSTAR

Post by supercazzola » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 pm

I am getting this periodic beep on my Icom ID-51a when connected to Openspot2.
It is very annoying. Signal level seems to be good.
Does anyone have any ideas what it could be. It occurs on any reflector.
Doesn't matter if the SD card is in, recording is enabled, etc...
I made a video so you could see what is happening.
https://youtu.be/tJIVDlOaeb0
Please help.

thank you
KK4YEL

supercazzola

Re: Openspot2 issues with ID-51a DSTAR

Post by supercazzola » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm

wonder if there was ever any solution for Bob_K6UDA?
https://forum.sharkrf.com/viewtopic.php?t=333

G4AON

Post by G4AON » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 am

Is it definitely originating at your end of the QSO? I sometimes experience exactly the same broken signals. I use an ID51 too.

If I use a Pi-Star setup via an 3G/4G (LTE) phone connection (Raspberry Pi Zero and MMDVM board) I often receive reports of broken transmissions. With no corresponding reports of the transmission going distorted, just broken as if the PTT is momentarily released. There are virtually no broken signal reports if I use an OpenSPOT 2 instead. The difference might be the global de-jitter setting on the OS 2, on Pi-Star the same setting is only available for DMR. The suggested OS 2 setting is at least 1000 when used with 3G/4G (LTE), the default with the Pi-Star Systems is 300 on DMR and maybe the same (but not adjustable) on D-Star.

I was receiving reports of broken signals on DMR when using the “300” settings on my Pi-Star, since setting the jitter parameter to 1000 there have been no reports of broken signals via the same Pi-Star on DMR.

Given the huge popularity of Pi-Star, and the less than perfect internet connections most users have, could the problem be at the sending end and not related to receiving on the Shark?

I will run some experiments by listening to a busy Reflector on my OS 2 and ID51, while monitoring the same Reflector via a local repeater with my ID5100. I will also try a D-Star to D-Star QSO using a Shark at both ends and Pi-Star at both ends, etc. I have a friend who also has both.

73 Dave
SharkRF O/S 2
Icom ID51
TYT MD-UV380

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am

Thank you for the video. There are a lot of missing packets in the stream, which I'm sure you can see on the Dejitter queue graph on the Status page. openSPOT2 handles missing packets, but after a limit the radio emits a beep, indicating an out of sequence error. Try increasing the dejitter queue length on the Network page, and/or use another server, preferably close to your current physical location to avoid packet loss.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 am

Please turn OFF standby beep sound function in your radio menu!
Attachments
ID-51-3.jpg
ID-51-2.jpg
ID-51-1.jpg
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

supercazzola

Post by supercazzola » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

OK, so I turned off the Standby beep - thank you.
and I also doubled the Dejitter queue to 1000 ms.
I will report back if I notice any difference.

What was odd was my IC-9700 wasn’t beeping when the ID-51a was.
Then I went through the menu system of the IC-9700 and couldn’t find the standby beep.

So thanks for explaining why the beep is happening and thanks for helping me try to mitigate the source of the problem.

-Kevin KK4YEL

supercazzola

Post by supercazzola » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm

HA2NON wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am
Thank you for the video. There are a lot of missing packets in the stream, which I'm sure you can see on the Dejitter queue graph on the Status page.
Can you explain a bit more about what the graph is showing and how to interpret it ?
It appears that the longer a transmission is occurring from the openspot 2 to the radio, the graph rises and begins to level out. So if there are a lot of packets in the queue, it starts to look like a flat line as some Y value height. If that stays longer than the dejitter queue length, does the openspot2 drop packets ?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm

You can find more information about the dejitter queue graph in the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot2/en ... -page.html
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team