OS 2 and 4-way handshake fail / key exchange timeout

kd2pm

OS 2 and 4-way handshake fail / key exchange timeout

Post by kd2pm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 pm

So I went to send an SMS via modem to my radio just to test. I got the message on the radio but the OS2 rebooted for no reason and now I am not able to connect to the wifi.

It was connected, it rebooted and now it cant connect to the network. Norbert please see the attached zip file showing the 4-way handshake failure. This is on a D-Link AP.

I also have the same exact issue on my mikrotik. But its called key exchange timeout

I also have a friend in California who has the same problem with key exchange timeout.

I had previously sent out some data from the mikrotik a few weeks ago in another post.

So the question is why the OS2 is having such a hard time connecting to AP's???? I have to play around with my wifi settings every time I want to get the OS2 on the network.

There should be no reason that the OS2 cant connect to a AP that uses WPA2-AES with 40mhz B/W. Or do we need to size it down to a 20mhz BW with WPA/WPA2 with both TKIP/AES???

Whats the best setting for the OS2? Nothing else in my house has problems. So the wifi issues that have been around for a while still seem to be the case (at least here in the US)
Attachments
log.zip
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA
Alinco DJ-MD5TGP / Anytone AT-D878UV
Zumspot-PiZero / SharkRF OpenSpot2

n6cid

Re: OS 2 and 4-way handshake fail / key exchange timeout

Post by n6cid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:27 pm

I have none of those issues in the U.S., is it possible where you are you suffer from bandwidth saturation?

kd2pm

Post by kd2pm » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Frank, I do live in an area where there is some channel saturation. Of course everyone uses 1, 6 and 11. If you are using 20 MHz that's fine. I typically use 20/40 auto and since the OS 2 is literally 6 ft away from the AP, the S/N should be perfect (The OS2 sees -46dbm).

The part that I am trying to wrap my head around is that sometimes it will connect on the 1st try, other times it will not connect at all until I power cycle the unit and then it seems connect easily. So I am not convinced its interference of any kind.

I even tried to change the key period from 1 hour to like 5 minutes and for a while I thought that worked but it came back.

I really notice the issue when changing profiles and allowing the OS2 to reboot. That's when it as a very hard time reconnecting. Its almost like the cypher its sending back to the AP is not correct.

It will even have a hard time with my Samsung galaxy phone on occasion.

If I had problems with my laptops, Internet radios, phones and other devices on my home network, I would focus on that. Buts its only the OS2 that seems to be having problems connecting.

I remember there being forum discussions about the OS2 connectivity problems and I believe the guys reworked the code either back in v39 or v41. So maybe a little more tweaking on the timers is in order to get it to properly attach

Once its attached, its very stable (except when I did the SMS via modem and it just decided to reboot on me)
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 am

Try setting the bandwidth to 20MHz. There can be a lot of interference even with high signal strength.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

kd2pm

Post by kd2pm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

I actually tried that based upon what Lajos recommended when we were conversing on facebook. It didn't change anything and since the OS2 was no more then 6 feet away, the S/N ratio had to be very good since the AP is in my basement and I deliberately place the OS2 in the basement as well so there could be no interference issues.

Norbert I can also try and send you the screenshots I showed Lajos on FB to show that other devices easily did the 4 way handshake and the OS2 was the only one that did not. So I have to rule out interference.

What I find works is that if the OS2 wont connect to the AP, if I power cycle, it seems to get it out of its odd mode and will immediately connect just fine.

The same happens when I try to do a profile change as you noted in one of my previous forum posts.

Here is what I have it set as now and it seems to work. But I am worried if I try to change profiles or try to reconnect later on it will have a hard time registering

Attachments
dlink.jpg
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA

kd2pm

Post by kd2pm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 pm

I upgraded to beta 48 this morning. Still seeing the same issue as before. If I attempt to change profiles, the OS2 can no longer properly handshake with the AP. I have to power it down for a few seconds, plug it back in and hope it will do the key exchange properly.

Still no luck with either my Samsung Galaxy S8+, Mikrotik 40111 or D-Link 1650 in being able to switch profiles every time without the OS2 losing its ability to reconnect.

Attached is another new log from the AP. It shows the 4-way handshake failure...I power cycle the OS2 an it then connects easily with no problem on the 1st attempt. I try to do a profile change and the reboot takes place and no longer connects to the AP>
Attachments
log (1).zip
(615 Bytes) Downloaded 1 time
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 pm

I've just tested to switch profiles on OS2 and my Samsung Galaxy S8+. I could change profiles with out any problem both of web interface and using DTMF codes. My question is for you ED, are you using a lowercase letters for WIFI password?

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=541785
Attachments
OS2 on 4G WIFI network.jpg
OS2 connected to Android phone.jpg
OS2 connection OK.jpg
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester

kd2pm

Post by kd2pm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Yes my wifi password is all lower case. No special characters. I am able to replicate this pretty much every time I do a profile change from the radio. It will just flash blue and continue to say trying to connect wifi network. If I disconnect power for a bit and then reappy power, it usually takes care of that.

So if I do a true power up in the morning when I get into the car, it works fine. Its shows itself when I try to change profiles. And since the SSID and password are configured for all the profiles, there should be no reason for the OS2 not to connect after the reboot unless something is stuck in the memory buffer and its not able to properly communicate with the AP.

I just did a quick test changing from profiles 1, 2 and 3 using the web browser and that worked OK. Not the fastest changeover but it did work none the less.

So that lends the question....how can I change profiles from the web side and it works but trying to change profiles from the RF side....it hangs and wont re-establish with the AP....
Ed Velez
KD2PM
East Windsor, NJ, USA

HA5OGR

Post by HA5OGR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:29 am

Please turn OFF "enable auto channel scan function", set to 20 MHz channel width and channel 1 in your router menu.
73 de Lajos
Openspot alpha tester