Talker alias

M7GSX

Talker alias

Post by M7GSX »

Hello there,

I've noticed that a lot of HAMs on Brandmeister do not change their "APRS Text" to their name, so talker aliases end up being "M7GSX DMR ID : 2347165" rather than "M7GSX Grant".

Is it possible that the Openspot could generate and transmit the talker alias to the modem based on Callsign + Name gathered from the DMR ID lookup, similar to how it's displayed on the status page?

Thanks,
Grant
Last edited by M7GSX on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

M7GSX

Re: Talker alias

Post by M7GSX »

Also, the Phoenix network here in the UK doesn't appear to send talker alias at all, so this feature would prove very useful in that case

G4AON

Post by G4AON »

The idea behind Talker Alias is that it should originate from the users radio, in the same way that D-Star sends a short message with each transmission.

As far as I know, only the AnyTone 878 currently includes T/A, even though it has been part of the DMR specification since 2016.

73 Dave
SharkRF O/S 2
Icom ID51
TYT MD-UV380

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, but Brandmeister generates a talker alias itself if one is not sent by the users radio, as explained here: http://mrickey.com/2018/02/talker-alias ... ndmeister/, and is usually in the format in my first post as most people don't change it, which means it's inconsistent.

The ability for the Openspot2 to generate and transmit a talker alias that adheres to a set standard would be fantastic. As an option of course!

M6NBP

Post by M6NBP »

You can share this link on how to set Selfcare up

http://hamradio.joomla.com/images/PDF/S ... -Alias.pdf

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX »

Just seen this on the change log as an upcoming feature. Will look forward to giving it a go. Thanks!

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA »

Is it possible to allow the talker alias data pass through the OS2 so my radio will display contacts that are not in the Digital Contact List yet. My other hotspots send it on through to the radio (assuming it's set up on the other person's radio for it...)

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX »

You just have to enable advanced mode, then uncheck the "Send no in-band data to modem" option on the Settings page Doug.

W8ADA

Post by W8ADA »

Thanks Grant, I missed that setting.