Motorola Issue

M7GSX

Motorola Issue

Post by M7GSX » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi there,

I'm running on the latest beta (v54) and I have a strange issue where I'm not able to hear people if they are talking through the reflector (4400) rather than the equivalent talkgroup (2350). The radio shows there is activity on the channel but the group call does not come through.

This only seems to be an issue with my Motorola radio, but I've carried out some testing using a repeater on a different network so I know it is not the radio that's causing it. It also used to work fine with older Openspot2 firmware, so it definitely seems like a new bug, potentially caused by some packets being transmitted from the modem that Motorola radios do not like?

Thanks,
Grant

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Motorola Issue

Post by HA2NON » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am

Check the status page of the OS2 to find out what talkgroup the openSPOT2 is transmitting. Reflector traffic is sent usually to TG9 by the server, so you have to add TG9 to an RX group list in your transceiver, and assign this RX group list to all channels you use for the OS2.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello,

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain very well.

My openspot2 is connected to talkgroup 2350 and I have that talkgroup in the RX group list of my radio. I am not connected to a reflector myself and I can hear most people perfectly fine, but looking on the brandmeister dashboard, it seems that if another HAM is using reflector 4400 to access that talkgroup, their call shows as being transmitted to talkgroup 2350 on the openspot dashboard, as it should, but it sometimes doesn't come through to my Motorola radio. Other radios do not have the issue.

As I said. Very strange!

Thanks,
Grant

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:48 am

Make sure "Send no in-band data to modem" is checked on the Settings page, DMR settings section.
SharkRF Team

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes that option is checked. I was able to hear someone who was talking through the reflector yesterday, so it looks like I need to do some more testing!

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:06 pm

I've just encountered the issue again, it seems to be certain DMR IDs that I'm not able to receive whilst they're using the reflector. "Send no in-band data to modem" is checked. Is there anything I can do to help diagnose?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 am

Try to reset your Motorola's CPS to defaults.
SharkRF Team

M7GSX

Post by M7GSX » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks, but that seems unnecessary. I was able to hear that same person on the Motorola radio whilst talking through a local repeater on the Phoenix network. The settings are the same between both channels except frequency, color code and RX group list (which are all correct).

As I mentioned, this seems to be a new bug in the Openspot2 firmware. I did not have this issue in previous versions.