openspot and ID-51 programming

Dave_s

openspot and ID-51 programming

Post by Dave_s » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all, I'm very new to the digital voice modes. I have an Icom ID-51 via an openspot. Can anyone run through how I would program the radio to work through openspot please. Basically how to change D-Star reflectors on the radio and not via the web interface every time. I use an RT Systems programming cable and software, any tips great fully received. Thanks in advance for any help for this digital mode newbie

Dave G0VTU

kk6bdf

Re: openspot and ID-51 programming

Post by kk6bdf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 am

D-Star is really quite simple as the openSpot wrks just like a DVAP (which means it's like a direct connect)

I'm not sure if you're doing this from the radio or using software, so I'll guess it's software....

(1) Set your operating Freq (the freq of the Openspot)
(2) Set your mode (DV)
(3) Name the channel something (We'll start with "Talk")
(4) Put "cqcqcq" in the URCALL field

Now, let's connect somewhere....
(Repeat steps 1 and 2)
(3) Name the channel (Something like REF001A)
(4) Put "REF001AL" in the URCALL field

Repeat for all the reflectors, X-reflectors, DCS or whatever you want.
(If you want an xreflector, then the URCALL is XRF002AL for example)

After you're done programming and the ID51 is all loaded up -

Now, in Memory Mode, spin the top knob until you get to one of the channels (let's say REF001A) and press the PTT for about a second.
Now spin the knob back to "Talk" and you should be rocking.

Dave_s

Post by Dave_s » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:12 am

Thank you Sir...very much appreciated :D

AB8KT

Post by AB8KT » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:11 pm

There is more than one way to do this.

The previous post sums it up nicely.

I am not sure if you are familiar with D-Star or not. But, ONE very simple method is to use the RT Systems programming software and then use their D-Star Calc function. This will program your regular radio memories with the four "commands": Talk, Unlink, Information, and Echo. Then you can select various reflectors you want to link to.

Another way to do this is to go into your programming software, and add your Open Spot in the DR Repeater list. Then you can access it using your DR button and then select the reflectors that way also.

If this doesn't make any sense to you or you need more help with this, don't hesitate to ask. I am no expert on this or anything else, but I am pretty familiar with the ID-51.

MM0HCD

Post by MM0HCD » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:03 pm

As the previous post has said I use an ID 51 Plus Mobile with a DV Mega in my truck and i use it through the DR Mode on the Radio and it works very well between Reflectors .
I have also been looking at using the Open Spot with my setup Mobile with my I Phone providing the Internet but not sure how good it would work ?.

kk6bdf

Post by kk6bdf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I use my openspot mobile on C4FM with an iPhone.
One thing I do is turn off just about everything that wants to use cell data (I leave on e-mail/messaging stuff only) - if I don't do that the iPhone hotspot seems to get confused.
The only way I've found out of it is to turn off the hotspot and re-enable it then reset my RPI WiFi for the openspot.

M3SXA

Post by M3SXA » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am

I know this is a really old thread but have no idea what I should be doing here as not new to openspot but D-star yes I am.... so far I have simply been swapping between REF001 and REF030 using the openspot screen on the web page (as original poster) and all works but how on earth do you change reflectors by programming the radio (I have an ID-51 Plus 2) bought yesterday...

I started to follow the instructions from kk6bdf and I assume I should be putting this into the ID51's programming software totally lost where... at this point... Put "cqcqcq" in the URCALL field??

I'm using the software from Icom by the way...
Tnx's in advance
73 Steve
Openspot1 v.141 :D

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:35 am

If you want to talk on a reflector, use CQCQCQ in the URCALL field. Otherwise you can change reflectors by setting the URCALL to their reflector callsigns and press the PTT for a short time. After the change switch back the URCALL to CQCQCQ to be able to talk on the reflector.
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

M3SXA

Post by M3SXA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi Norbert thanks for the help just could not get my head round it but with that I managed it...

Do you have to change the display to showing CQCQCQ as it seemed to work ok when it showed on the screen Link to REF001C

So in the To field it shows the reflector info and in the FROM field it shows OPENSPOT and got good reports and seems to work ok... and I thought the setup for DMR was difficult :lol:

HNY 2019 to you.... I'm now 'thinking' about OS2 but after buying a 7100 and a 51E Plus 2 the xyl is keeping an eye on me :lol: :lol:
Last edited by M3SXA on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
73 Steve
Openspot1 v.141 :D

broonzbane

Post by broonzbane » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:19 pm

An easy way to do it is to highlight the ‘To’ field and hit the center button. Choose ‘Reflector’ from the menu, then ‘Use Reflector.’ That’s it!