Problems when connecting to a Gateway, which is connected to a Reflector.

KI7DGE

Problems when connecting to a Gateway, which is connected to a Reflector.

Post by KI7DGE »

For 1 hour on a Saturday there is a net, originally just on our local repeater, now on 4 repeaters and a Reflector (53C). The purpose of the net is to help new DSTAR users adjust their settings correctly, and for others to try out new equipment. I have been connecting to the net for a few years without problems, until I tried to connect after the Reflector was added to the mix, and I started testing my OS3. I connect to my local repeater (Gateway) using the OS3, in the UR field is WB7DZG C, and rpt 1 and 2 are empty. My transmissions are not heard by those only connected to WB7DZG. Net control says it appears to him I am connected to REF53C when my OpenSpot shows me connected to WB7DZG/C. If I connect the OpenSpot directly to REF53C with CQCQCQ in the UR field everything works fine.

If a Reflector is connected to a Gateway, is there a problem connecting the OpenSpot to the Gateway, and only the Reflector should be used?

In that situation do the settings in the UR field for the Gateway still apply, or should something else be in the UR field, and/or rpt1 and rpt2?

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Re: Problems when connecting to a Gateway, which is connected to a Reflector.

Post by HA2NON »

You don't have to care about RPT1 and RPT2 settings in your transceiver, as the OS3 automatically replaces them. Please use the Quick Setup to set up the connection to WB7DZG C. Quick Setup will configure everything required for gateway operation. Set the URCALL on your transceiver to WB7DZG C. You can read more about D-STAR transceiver setup here: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... adio-setup
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

KI7DGE

Post by KI7DGE »

Norbert, thank you for your reply. I do have settings as per the manual and connect using the Quick Setup.

I will reread the part of the manual you highlighted and double check all settings, to make sure I haven't set something incorrectly. Will test again next Saturday when everything is linked up again.

KI7DGE

Post by KI7DGE »

On Saturday Feb 15th I again tried to take part in the Net.

I opened sharkrf.link and the Openspot3. Clicked on Quick Setup, D-Star and then Gateway. In the server put WB7DZG and Module put C. UR field of Kenwood D74 was set to WB7DZG C.

I could be heard on WB7DZG C, on Ref53C which was linked, I was not connected to WB7DZG Gateway and anyone else connecting via a hotspot or device which used the Gateway could not hear me. Direct Reply was turned off on the D74.

Connecting to REF53C and putting CQCQCQ in the UR field everything worked as expected.

HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

You wrote that "I was not connected to WB7DZG Gateway"

First make sure your openSPOT is connected to the server, otherwise calls received from your transceiver will not be sent to anywhere on the internet. If it keeps displaying "connector connecting" even after 20-30 seconds, then the server does not accept your connection. We've tried connecting to the WB7DZG server too now with IP address 208.67.205.164 and it did not reply to our connection requests, so probably it's offline, or it's Dplus port (20001 UDP) is firewalled (or the server is listed with an incorrect IP address in the ar-dns.net server list).
Norbert "Nonoo" Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team

KI7DGE

Post by KI7DGE »

On Saturday 15th the Status was showing connected to WB7DZG/C, and it must have been connected because those using WB7DZG C on RF could hear me. Those on a hotspot could not, and Net Control said he could see I wasn't connected to the Gateway.