Price is raised

OZ9KL

Re: Price is raised

Post by OZ9KL »

You're totally missing my point. OpenSPOT is indead a great product.
I have OP1 and OP2, and planned to buy OP3, but when I noticed that the price raised 25% with taxes in 14 days, it pissed me off. So my point is, that there are other solutions to 1/5 at the price of an OP3.
If your succés criteria for a hotspot is based on, how many radios you need to run the different digital modes, I can come up with an even better solution. Buy an AMBE3000 USB stick and access it from your Android phone. Here you can run all modes without a radio.

73 de OZ9KL
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

I'm not missing your point at all.

Gasoline and milk prices have risen where I live. I don't buy propane and prune juice instead! I buy what works for me and what I like.

Yeah, increasing prices aren't things that any of us like to see. But sometimes smaller supplies and market forces make that happen. And if I waited too long to buy something, it's my fault, not the manufacturer's.

My success criteria for a hotspot is one that meets my needs, without requiring too much fuss. The one radio combined with the OS3 meets it. Having to have a few different radios and keeping them all charged, doesn't.

The phone/AMBE stick is physically clunky, and more prone to being accidentally broken at the connector. Also something that doesn't meet my criteria.

According to the pic you posted the OS3 doesn't meet at least 11 of your criteria for a hotspot, so I don't understand why you'd bother anyway.
OZ9KL

Post by OZ9KL »

The AMBE Stick can be mounted in a Raspberry Pi sitting on a shelf at home, and you can access it all over the world from your phone. The risk of break it, is more less than the OP3 you need to carry in your pocket to have the same function. My comparison is not a picture of my criteria for a hotspot, but the comparison that Norbert posted was easy for him, and I just wanted to show, that every one could make their own comparison, with the picture they want to show.

If you noticed my very first post, I asked why the price was raised, but was met with total silence from Shark RF.

As I say, they have a great product, but in my opinion, they have squezed the lemmon to much.
It will be exiting to see what an OP4 will cost, if it ever comes out.

73 de OZ9KL
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

on a Raspberry Pi, eh? so yet another piece of equipment to buy.

All of your alternatives seem to either cost more, or are more complex !
OZ9KL

Post by OZ9KL »

N1IG wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 am on a Raspberry Pi, eh? so yet another piece of equipment to buy.

All of your alternatives seem to either cost more, or are more complex !
AMBE3000 USB stick : 105 Euro
Raspberry Pi : 15 Euro

More expensive ?????
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

You forgot the cost of the cell phone ($120) and it's monthly service ($35/month). That is $540 for the first year, and $420 every year thereafter. At least until you are forced to buy a new phone.

oh yeah, much cheaper! lol
EdAtlanta

Post by EdAtlanta »

There will always be a cheaper alternative to most anything. I love my 2 OS3's because they "Just Work". Rock solid! Cheaper isn't always worth it for me.
Ed
KM4STL
OZ9KL

Post by OZ9KL »

and now 319,00 Euro :-)
N1IG

Post by N1IG »

Gasoline was $2.159 per gallon back in October 2020, and is now $3.059 per gallon.
suavek

Post by suavek »

N1IG wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 am Gasoline was $2.159 per gallon back in October 2020, and is now $3.059 per gallon.
What 2020 has to do with it?
Price was 249 in 03/2021 and is 319EUR today.

That's a 30% increase and a deal breaker. Don't recall Estonia GDP increase in 2 months that much. What a rip-off.