cant connect with openspot3

Fusion2u

Re: cant connect with openspot3

Post by Fusion2u »

OK, did the factory reset, everything was looking like it was going well, until I tried to connect to the Openspot3 and I get and error message " Error, Your openSPOT3's firmware is too old. Please manually upgrade the firmware by following the instructions in the user manual" I just installed the firmware that HA2NON sent me.... WTH ! I see a lot of complaints about issues with connectivity and error messages here on the forums. In my opinion SharkRF needs to be up front and start looking into these issues and Stop with the can response they put out. There is a serious problem with their firmware and certain openSPOT3's that where manufactured when combined they fail and you cant get it to work.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

What status LED color do you see on the device?
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

It now flashes white slowly...
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

White status LED means that the openSPOT3 is in AP (access point) mode. In this mode, the openSPOT3 does not connect to any Wi-Fi network, so it is not connected to the internet, and sharkrf.link won't work.

- In this mode, the openSPOT3 broadcasts it's own Wi-Fi network called "openSPOT3 AP", indicated by white LED. You can connect to this network using your browser device (phone/tablet/computer).
- Make sure you place your phone/tablet/computer close to the openSPOT3 during this time.
- The initialization setup will pop up, where you can select the country of operation and configure a Wi-Fi network for the openSPOT3 to connect to. If the initialization setup does not show up automatically, then open http://192.168.99.1/ in the browser. This address is only active while the openSPOT3 is in AP mode, indicated by white status LED.
- Make sure you've entered the Wi-Fi password case sensitive.
- After you've chosen the Wi-Fi network and entered the password, the openSPOT3 stops broadcasting it's own Wi-Fi network and starts connecting to the selected network. At that moment, your browser device (phone/tablet/computer) will disconnect from the openSPOT3's network. What you have to do now is to connect to the exact same Wi-Fi network with your browser device as you've configured for the openSPOT3, and then use sharkrf.link to open the web interface.
- If you have WEP encryption on your router, then make sure the password is ASCII, not hex. The openSPOT3 only supports ASCII WEP passwords. The best is to switch the encryption to WPA2 or WPA because it's much safer.
- Make sure you have enabled 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, not just 5GHz.
- Place the openSPOT3 close to the Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi bandwith is set to max. 20Mhz in the Wi-Fi router (see explanation here: https://superuser.com/questions/542191/ ... less-speed)
- If it still does not work, try switching Wi-Fi channel on your Wi-Fi router. Only channels 1, 6 or 11 should be used (see explanation here: https://www.metageek.com/training/resou ... -6-11.html)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

OK, I went through everything you said to do and it is all set up as you say it should work. I git the green and red flashing and when it finished the light is now a solid Red, I final held the power button down and the light went off. I tried power it back up but nothing happens, I tried holding both the power and WiFi button and it will light up but went i let go the light goes off, even if I wait 10 seconds. Not sure if there is anything else I can do, shame as I really liked this unit. When I plug it back into the computer the sold amber light comes on and sometimes flickers. Thanks HA2NON for your help and appreciate it, maybe I will buy a new one when I can afford another one.
HA2NON
SharkRF team
SharkRF team

Post by HA2NON »

Please upgrade the device firmware manually.
You can find the manual upgrade instructions in the user manual: http://manuals.sharkrf.com/openspot3/en ... l#page-top ("I want to manually upgrade the firmware" section)
Norbert Varga, HA2NON
SharkRF Team
Fusion2u

Post by Fusion2u »

I have, several times, it just won't work, check all of my prior post with you and you will see everything I have done.